This Black Bean and Corn Salsa is the perfect blend of flavors and will be a hit at any party or gathering!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa Backstory
Sometimes the best things in life are so easy and simple. The weather was so beautiful last week. It was perfect to take the dog for a walk, sit on the patio with a glass of lemonade or just bask in the sunshine reading a magazine. It reminds me that so many little things can bring lots of joy.
And speaking of the simple joys in life, here is an easy salsa recipe from Red Gold Tomatoes that is perfect to serve to company on top of grilled chicken or just a nice little accompaniment to some tortilla chips. I made this last week to snack on with a cocktail before dinner.
Since we still have several months to pick some fresh Jersey tomatoes, I love using these canned diced tomatoes with chilies. Even though they come from a can, the taste is fresh and the tomatoes are still red and juicy looking. The extra chilies give them a nice kick.
This time, I made this salsa exactly the way the recipe said but that is not always the protocol for me. You can easily make this salsa your own by using a different kind of bean or adding your favorite vegetable.
I like dressing up my chicken, fish or steak with this too. An easy simple dinner can be had by making this salsa in advance and then grilling some fish, chicken or meat. Don't forget the margarita on the side!
What's your favorite simple pleasure in the spring?
How long should I let my salsa sit before serving?
- I recommend letting it sit in the fridge for at least an hour so the flavors can come together, but it'll taste best if you leave it overnight.
What's the best way to store homemade salsa?
- Covered with some plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container, your salsa will last 5 to 6 days in the refrigerator.
- Adding lemon juice will also ensure that your salsa is safe to eat for longer, especially if you're planning on canning or jarring it.
Can I freeze homemade salsa?
- Absolutely; store it in the same way you would store it in the fridge, wrapped carefully in plastic wrap or stored in a plastic container. It will maintain the best quality for up to 2 months but will be safe to eat beyond that.
- To thaw, transfer to the fridge and allow to sit, ideally overnight.
- For some extra flavor, chop up some red onion and mix it in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Drizzle some lemon juice over your salsa for added acidity. This will also help the salsa stay fresher longer!
- Serve this salsa on top of grilled fish or chicken for an easy and delicious meal!
- Some other great additions to your salsa could be a bit of olive oil, some red wine vinegar, cracked black pepper, cumin, or chopped jalapenos.
Serve Your Salsa with These Dishes
- Chicken Fajita Skillet Tacos
- Best Steak Tacos
- Fish Taco Bowls
- Super Easy Guacamole
- Homemade Tortilla Chips from Gimme Some Oven
- The Best Grilled Chicken from Once Upon a Chef
If you like this homemade salsa recipe, please give it 5 stars below.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 30 oz black beans 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz whole kernel corn 1 can, drained
- 20 oz Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 2 cans, drained
- 14.5 oz Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes 1 can, drained
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, stir to combine, Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to blend the flavors. Serve with chips or crackers.
First Published March 2012; Updated November 2020
Thanks for stopping by! If you’d like to follow me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter.
This looks wonderful.
claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine
have become such a fan of the tomatoes and the black beans this is a keeper!
The little things always make me happy too.
I really love this recipe. It's been bookmarked and will be tried. I don't know if others would consider them simple, but I love spring lamb and early asparagus. Have a great day, Lisa. Blessings...Mary
Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet)
Yum...this picture and recipe brings back some really fun memories of our Indy weekend :)! This is one great salsa!!
This looks so refreshing! Seems like a perfect summer snack!