Last year I went to Indianapolis for Superbowl weekend courtesy of Red Gold Tomatoes. It was one of the best weekends ever. I was a little sad thinking about it. I know…. wah, wah, wah…….call a wambulance. But I just couldn’t help feeling a little sorry for myself and missing all the wonderful ladies that I spent the weekend with last year.
So I broke out a big can of Tuttorosso tomatoes that were sent to me by the wonderful Red Gold folks and made this dish. After I ate my pasta, I went through all my Superbowl weekend pictures and felt much better.
This is a dish I could eat every night. While some cooks might add heavy cream, I like to save just a few calories for dessert so I used half and half instead. I am not saying this is a low calorie dish because it’s not. But it’s creamy, tangy and perfect for a cold winter night.
- 16 ounces Angel Hair pasta
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 can (28 oz) Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBS dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup white wine
- salt and crushed red pepper to taste
- ¾ cup half and half
- Chopped basil, for garnish
- Grated cheese, for garnish
- Cook the pasta al dente in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain pasta when done.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, seasoning and wine. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is very thick while stirring well. Add salt and red pepper to taste.
- Add the half and half to the pan and cook until bubbly. Stir well.
- Add the pasta and water to the pan. Toss and cook for a few minutes or until sauce is thick and pasta is well coated.
- Serve in bowls garnished with basil and cheese.