A review of Lidia's Favorite Recipes Cookbook as well as her recipe for Straw and Hay Pasta. This is a wonderful book with delicious recipes!
CONTEST CLOSED. CONGRATS TO WINNER JANICE E !
I have always been a fan of Lidia Bastianich. Her recipes are easy to make Italian food that are good enough to serve to company. I have watched Lidia cook on her show and she really knows how to feed her family. I have been to some of her restaurants in New York City and all I can say is "Wow"!
When I received her new book, Lidia's Favorite Recipes, I didn't know what to cook first. This wonderful collection of 100 recipes are Lidia's "go to recipes" adored by her family and friends. Some of Lidia's favorite recipes have also become my favorite recipes.
Last week, I made Straw and Hay Pasta, which is a colorful pasta dish with crispy peas, prosciutto and creamy sauce. As elegant as it sounds, it only took 30 minutes to make. It was the perfect weeknight meal and I will be making it again and again.
The holidays are coming and I can't wait to try some of the appetizers. From Fried Mozzarella Skewers to Lobster Salad with Fresh Tomatoes, there is just one good recipe after another. These recipes are for the beginning cook to the most experienced home chef.
Besides all the great recipes in the cookbook, there is also a website where you can get cooking tips, recipes and videos. If you love Italian food, you will need to visit Lidia's Italy.
Now for the great news. You can win this gorgeous cookbook, Lydia's Favorite Recipes.
All you have to do is leave a comment. For additional entries:
- Follow Jersey Girl Cooks on Facebook or Twitter
- Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks by email or RSS
- Pin this post on Pinterest.
Leave a separate comment for each entry telling me you follow, pinned, etc. There are 6 possible entries per person!
Please leave your comments by Tuesday, December 4th at 11:59pm EST. Make sure there is a link to a blog or you leave your email address. A winner will be randomly picked and announced on Wednesday, December 5th. Sorry, but you can only enter if you have a US mailing address. Good luck everyone!
If you like this recipe for Straw and Hay Pasta, please give it 5 stars below.
Straw and Hay
- Salt for the pasta pot
- 4 scallions
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shelled peas blanched or frozen baby peas
- 6 to 8 slices imported prosciutto cut crosswise into ½ inch ribbons
- ⅔ cup low sodium chicken broth or stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine pasta or ½ pound dry egg fettuccine and ½ pound dry spinach fettuccine
- ¾ cup freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Trim the roots of the scallions and cut them in half length-wise, then into 3 inch pieces in thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add scallions and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add peas and cook for 3 minutes. Add prosciutto and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until it changes color. Pour in the chicken stock and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce sauce to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the heavy cream and continue to simmer until lightly thickened.
- Stir the pasta into the salted water and cook until al dente. Fish the pasta out of the boiling water with a skimmer and add directly to sauce. Cook on high heat until sauce is creamy.
- Remove from the heat and toss with cheese. Serve in warm bowls.
*****For full disclosure, I was given a copy of this cookbook to review and one to give away to a reader. As usual, all opinions are my own.