Now before you start drinking the hard cider and winter sangria, let’s give summer a proper goodbye. The weather is so beautiful in NJ that it is still perfect to have a cocktail on the patio. And these strawberry mojitos are just what the doctor ordered. I am dreaming of one with some homemade guacamole and a bowl of chips. But I’ll wait until 5 o’clock tonight.
Do yourself a favor and make some simple syrup for your next cocktail. For a quick drink, you can always use a bottled mix but it is so much better when you make your own. Besides, the syrup lasts for weeks in the fridge and you will have reason to make more cocktails any night of the week.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 strawberries
- a handful of mint leaves
- 1 limes
- 4 ounces rum
- lime flavored club soda
- In a small saucepan mix together the water and sugar. Bring the mix to a boil on medium heat. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Put the strawberries and some crushed mint leaves in two tall glasses. Crush (muddle) the strawberries with a fork or spoon.
- Cut the lime in half and slice two slices from the middle. Add one to each glass. Juice the remaining lime and divide amongst the two glasses.
- Add about ¼ cup of the sugar syrup ( you will have extra) to each glass and then half the rum in each glass. Stir to blend well.
- Fill each glass with ice and top with club soda to taste. Garnish with more mint.