Yellow Split Pea Soup With Kielbasi and Progresso Souper You Winner

by jerseygirl on February 5, 2010 · 15 comments

First let me announce our soup winner. Biz39! Please send me an email with your address and your prize package will be mailed. By the way, Biz39 has a great blog called The Biggest Diabetic Loser. Check it out if you can. Now back to more soup business.

Here in NJ, we are waiting on a foot of snow. I went to the grocery store today and everyone was buying 3 gallons of milk, 5 loaves of bread and 5 jars of peanut butter. Don’t know why, but snow storms really make people crave peanut butter sandwiches and milk. Now, me? I was at the store for a different reason. There was no bread or milk in my cart but there was an eight pound beef tenderloin. At $4.99 per pound, I was getting one of those babies before the sale ended.

What do I crave during a snow storm? SOUP. LOTS OF IT. Of course I crave potato chips, chocolate and cannolis too, but I am trying to stick with the more healthier choices. I might have to bake something tomorrow so I have sweets to munch on while watching old episodes of Grey’s Anatomy. But for now, I’ll feast on soup.

Trader Joe’s has this great low fat turkey kielbasi with no nitrates. I love using it for soup. Now let’s be honest here. Who likes to look at split pea soup? It’s not exactly a show pony bowl but it’s creamy, hearty and comforting. I was a little hesitant about posting a picture on my blog but looks aren’t everything. It is what’s on the inside that counts, right? Yellow split peas are a bit prettier than green but you can use either.

Yellow Split Pea Soup With Kielbasi
1 TBS canola oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
12 ounces turkey kielbasi, chopped
16 ounces dried split peas
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
salt and pepper

In a large stock pot, heat oil on medium heat and saute onions, celery and carrots for 5 minutes or until soft. Add kielbasi and cook for another few minutes. Add split peas, broth and water. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours making sure to stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

post signature

Lea Ann February 6, 2010 at 9:34 am

That is a good price for the beef. I love soup when snowed in too. Have a great snowy weekend. This soup looks delicious.

kat February 6, 2010 at 10:42 am

perfect think for when you are snowed in!

Debbie February 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Lisa we already have close to 20 inches of snow in northern Va…not a pretty sight! Your soup is perfect for today and I do love pea soup!

Mary February 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm

What a fantastic price for tenderloin! Your soup looks wonderful. We are a household that loves pea soup – green or yellow. Yours sounds very, very good.

Jennifer February 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Youe got me majorly craving some split pea soup now!!! my fav!!!

Mom on the Run February 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Congrats Biz!!! I love her blog.

During snow storms I never have milk or bread in my cart. I usually buy things for recipes I have yet not had time to make yet.

Sook February 7, 2010 at 2:25 am

This soup looks great!

HoneyB February 7, 2010 at 8:25 am

Soup may not always be the prettiest to look at but it sure can be warming and comforting! Congrats to your winner!

Pam February 8, 2010 at 11:50 am

A perfect soup for a cold snowy or rainy day…it looks terrific Lisa.

Bridgett February 8, 2010 at 12:36 pm

This is perfect for the chilly weather and rains we are having here. You definitely came up with a hearty and warming soup. This sounds wonderful, Lisa! Take care in all of that snow.

The Japanese Redneck February 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Beef – my kind of food! Good going!!!

dining room table February 10, 2010 at 1:25 am

What a nice price for a beef. I like soups for cold weather because it makes me warm. This one is great. Thanks for sharing.

biz319 February 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Hooray – thanks for picking me!!

I'll shoot you an email – thanks for the shout out Lisa! 😀

Chef Fresco February 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I had no idea that TJ's had Kielbasi! We just made a turkey kliebasi recipe this week too. You soup looks very tasty!

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom February 11, 2010 at 9:11 am

This is too funny. Janice and I are creating a bunch of new soup recipes for our next cookbook and we need one more recipe. I think something like a yellow split pea soup would be perfect. The key question is: Did your kids love it? What would you say is their all-time favorite soup? I've made split pea before and have pureed the soup. We want to make sure our lineup of recipes are super kid friendly! Thanks!! BTW, your recipe looks great (I need to look for those sausages at my local TJs). PS: We were supposed to get a foot of snow yesterday (kids had no school) and we ended up getting NO snow at all!