This Farmers Market Tomato Salad consists of beautiful heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, avocado and mozzarella cheese. It is dressed with basil and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing to make it super delicious.
It's that time of year that I've been waiting for! The tomatoes are ready in NJ! There is nothing like a sweet and juicy Jersey tomato. Even Martha Stewart thinks so and confirmed this when I asked her if she thought NJ tomatoes were the best.
Local Ingredients Purchased from Collingswood Farmers Market
Last Saturday I was getting some goodies from the Collingswood Farmers Market. I bought these heirloom tomato beauties at Savoie Organic Farm. They were perfect to match with corn from Eckerts's. The salad gets even better by adding fresh mozarella cheese, avocados and basil. This is the ultimate tomato salad where all the ingredients can be found at a farmers market. I'm lucky to live in NJ and have wonderful farmers markets. But where ever you live, I'm sure you can find a farmers market to get great ingredients. It's always great to purchase local and find out exactly where your food comes from. I love talking to my local farmers to get as much information on my food as possible.
I also belong to a CSA where I am lucky to get different kinds of basil. In this recipe I used regular basil as well as some purple basil.
The corn was so sweet that I didn't even cook it. It was cut right off the cob and marinated it in the dressing I made before mixing it with the other ingredients. Although, this is called a salad, it's also a great lunch on it's own. Farmers Market Tomato Salad can also be a side dish at your next BBQ and any vegetarian would look at it as a meal.
Simple Recipes are great in the summer
What local ingredients are you using in your cooking this summer?
Farmers Market Tomato Salad
- 2 ears corn husk removed and kernels cut off cob
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 large avocado peeled, pit removed & chopped
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls cut in half
- 3 tablespoon fresh chopped basil plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together corn kernels, vinegar and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes to marinate.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella, and basil. Mix in the marinated corn and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Salad can be made in advance and refrigerated before serving. Extra basil can be added to garnish.