Vegan Potato Soup with Leeks is one of the tastiest vegan soup recipes you can make. Vegan potato leek soup is a creamy dairy free potato soup that's perfect for a cool fall day or really whenever you'd like a warm bowl of soup.
I first made this dairy free potato soup on a dreary day. The kind of day where it is raining, but only a drizzle. It was a damp and cloud-covered day. The kind of day that makes you want to go back to bed and hide under the covers. Having a bowl of this vegan potato soup for dinner was perfect while watching a good movie.
While I am not a vegan, my daughter is a vegetarian and she also limits her dairy intake. This dairy free potato soup is a perfect bowl of comfort food to make when she visits. I also enjoy a meatless meal that is hearty enough to enjoy in the chilly weather.
Ingredients Needed for Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Olive Oil - Use any light, neutral flavored oil
- Leeks – Be sure to rinse carefully after slicing to remove dirt that can get stuck between the layers. No leeks? Use shallots or thinly sliced onions.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic will give you the best flavor but jarred garlic offers convenience.
- Vegetable stock or broth – To keep this vegan use veggie stock or broth. If that's not a concern you can use chicken stock. In a pinch, water will work but will not be as flavorful.
- Dill – Use dried dill.
- Potatoes - Small yellow potatoes work well but you can sub in your favorite potato. Peel the potatoes and cube them before adding to the vegan potato soup.
- Almond Milk – Look for unsweetened almond milk or substitute your favorite vegan milk.
- Salt and Pepper – always season to taste
- Toppings - See out list below.
Soup Topping Ideas
- Croutons - buy some or make your own
- Good Quality Oil - I like a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil but if you like spicy, try a chili oil
- Vegan Cheese - there are so many great types of vegan cheese to choose from
- Chopped Herbs - you can use dill since it's already in the recipe but for even more flavor, try chopped parsley, basil or cilantro
How Is This Vegan Potato Leek Soup Healthy?
Potatoes get a bad rap, but they aren't as unhealthy as you may think. According to Potatoes USA, potatoes are incredibly nutrient dense and are loaded with vitamin C, potassium and all kinds of good stuff that our bodies need.
Leeks are also an incredible vegetable. Leeks contain an antioxidant known as flavonoids which may have anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and anticancer properties.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Slow Cooker Carrot Ginger Soup via Swirls of Flavor
- Tomato Detox Soup via Souffle Bombay
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup leeks chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 TBS dried dill
- 4 cups chopped in small pieces & peeled potatoes
- ½ cup almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- toppings such as croutons, vegan cheese or chopped herbs
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat. Saute leeks for five minutes or until soft. Add the crushed garlic to the pot and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and dill to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes, cover, turn heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Blend soup with immersion blender until creamy. Add almond milk and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Serve in bowls with extra toppings.