Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins have the perfect amount of chocolate paired with orange. These moist muffins will deliver immediate sunshine to your day!
I absolutely love citrus! My favorite part of winter is citrus season. I love seeing all the different varieties of oranges in the supermarket. Lately, I have been on a kick of eating Cara Cara oranges. They are so sweet and juicy.
I frequently use citrus in both sweet and savory dishes. I have made dozens of lemon muffins but today I decided to do something a little different and bake with oranges. I love everything about oranges. The smell of them just gives me energy. I used to buy this delicious orange air freshener and then it was discontinued. Rats! So now I mix together a little orange oil with some distilled water in a mini spray bottle. And I have my own homemade orange air freshener.
I make sure I had a bag of oranges in our house before I started my baking. My daughter and husband love them so at times, I can not keep enough oranges in the house. My family can go through several four pound bags in one week!. But hey they're healthy, right? So eat up.
I made sure to have some semisweet chocolate chips. Orange and chocolate is the best combination! If you have not tried chocolate and orange, you really are missing out.
Chocolate and orange in a muffin is just great! I love to have a batch of Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins come out of the oven on a Sunday morning. They go great with a cup of coffee or tea. And my house smells like an orange air freshener with a hint of chocolate.
I like having muffin tops on my muffins so I fill the cups as much as I can. This recipe makes 12 muffins which are on the larger side. You could probably make 14 to 16 smaller muffins. I used chocolate chunks but you can use chips or chunks.
Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect thing to hand to my teenagers when they are leaving the house for school. It's not easy to get them to eat breakfast but with these muffins at least I have a chance. They are drizzled with more chocolate which makes them even better. Make sure to have a napkin ready when eating them.
More Fruit Muffin Recipes
Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil plus ½ teaspoon reserved for drizzle
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- the zest from one large orange
- 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips or chunks, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a twelve tin muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together sugar, ½ cup oil, eggs, buttermilk, orange juice and zest.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly mix in the wet ingredients until well combined. Do not overmix. Add I cup of the chocolate chips. Reserve ¼ cup for drizzle.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until muffins are golden and toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before moving to a baking rack.
- In a small bowl mix together ¼ cup reserved chocolate chips and ½ teaspoon reserved canola oil. Melt in microwave at 30 second increments until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over muffins.