Strawberry Stuffed French Toast Sliders with Cannoli Cream are divine. Make this Hawaiian roll French toast for brunch and your family or guests will really be impressed!
If you are looking for the perfect recipe to make for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day brunch, or just a special weekend breakfast, you just found it. This stuffed strawberry French toast recipe includes some of my favorite ingredients. I'm happy that I can get good strawberries year round in my market. Pair them with some creamy chocolate chip cannoli filling, French toast and you will be in heaven!
These Strawberry French Toast Sliders with Cannoli Cream are made with Hawaiian rolls but don't expect to pick them up with your hands. Both a knife and fork are required as they can be a little messy. I licked the plate and fork clean, so the messiness was gone.
If you are a fan of my Cannoli Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries, then you will love this breakfast or brunch recipe. Let's not count calories because this is a really special breakfast. We will save the healthy frittata breakfast for some other day. This French toast contains all food groups, so it's very balanced too, right?
How to make Cannoli Stuffed Strawberry French Toast Sliders
Making this French toast requires a bit of work, but I would say it's easy work. And the type of work where you are rewarded with a decadent breakfast.
Fillings: Combine the ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and chocolate chips in a bowl and pop it into the fridge until you are ready to use. Combine the strawberries and the sugar in a pan and cook for 5-10 minutes or until bubbly, then set aside. Both of these can be made in advance for easier prep in the morning!
Prep: Combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl for dipping the sliders. A pie plate is a great option.
Cook: Heat a large skillet or griddle and add half of the butter. When the butter is melted, place half of the coated sliders into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and then flip. Repeat with the remaining sliders. You can place the cooked sliders on a plate in a warm oven until you are ready to assemble the cannoli stuffed French toast.
Assemble: Assembling the stuffed French toast with strawberries is easy. Place one half of a slider on a serving plate. Spread with a dollop of the cannoli filling and top with a spoonful of cooked strawberries. Place another slider on top and garnish with a drizzle of strawberry syrup and whipped cream. You could also drizzle the French toast sliders with homemade strawberry preserves.
What Bread is used for this Strawberry French Toast?
When it comes to choosing bread for french toast, you want to choose rolls that are soft but sturdy. It needs to hold up to being dipped in egg and milk, frying and then filling. Sliced sandwich bread probably isn't going to work well here!
I am using Hawaiian slider rolls for this strawberry stuffed french toast recipe. They are soft and tender but still hold up to all of the fillings and have a slightly sweet flavor that compliments this recipe.
Other options could be potato rolls, small challah rolls or really any small soft dinner rolls.
Can this Hawaiian Roll French Toast be made ahead of time?
The cannoli cream and strawberries can be made in advance, so it's easy to assemble the sliders when you want to serve them. If you make the strawberries in advance, they can be warmed in the microwave before the sliders are assembled. I usually make homemade whipped cream from scratch because it is a favorite guilty pleasure of mine but feel free to use a can if you want something even easier.
More Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Strawberry Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits
- Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
- Red, White and Blue Pastry Breakfast Tart
Strawberry French Toast Sliders with Cannoli Cream
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese drain if there is any water
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 16 ounces strawberries cored and sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Hawaiian slider rolls split in half
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whipped cream for garnish
- In a medium size bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a large non- stick pan on medium heat. Add strawberries and sugar to the pan. Mix well and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until strawberries are bubbly. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Dip each side of the slider rolls in the milk and egg mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan on medium heat. Melt half the butter and cook the roll halves for a few minutes or until golden brown. Flip once in the middle of cooking. Repeat until all slider rolls are cooked.
- To assemble, spread half of the slider rolls with the ricotta mixture. Top with the cooked strawberries and then another slider roll half. Reserve some of the strawberry syrup.
- Garnish each slider with whipped cream and strawberry syrup before serving.
If you like this recipe for strawberry cannoli stuffed French toast, please give it a 5-star rating below.