These tender Lemon Blueberry Muffins can be on your table in 30 minutes! They are fresh, fabulous and perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins are the perfect spring and summer comfort food. I make these for friends when they are sick or bring them over in a pretty basket as a housewarming gift. They are light, sweet and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
Fresh blueberries are plentiful in NJ during the summer so I get local berries when I can. Paired with lemon, these muffins are the perfect baked summer treat. Don't be afraid to fill up the muffin tins. These muffins have nice tops like the ones you see in bakeries. They are crunchy on the outside but soft and moist on the inside.
I give them a light dusting of powdered sugar sometimes before serving but they are pretty enough to just serve as it. Lemon Blueberry Muffins go great on a brunch buffet next to some strawberry muffins, and mini frittatas. Now you have me planning brunch. I'll add a fruit salad to the menu and our table will be set.
Tips for making making muffins.
Do not over mix the batter. This will cause the muffins to be tough. They should be mixed enough so everything is blended but you still might have a few lumps in the batter.
Bigger is better when it comes to muffins! I like to fill them ⅔ full so they have nice muffin tops. We don't want the batter to spill over but we do want a nice high crunchy top.
Fresh berries work best. You can use frozen but make sure to drain the extra liquid.
To test for doneness, use a toothpick and insert into the middle of the muffin. These muffins are done when the toothpick comes out clean.
Make sure not to over bake because no one wants dry muffins.
Now it's time to go get some blueberries and make a batch of these wonderful muffins. Hope you enjoy them!
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups white flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup salted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk I used 2%
- zest and juice from one large lemon
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a 12 cup muffin baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and baking soda.. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar, eggs, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice until well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients with a spatula and combine until moistened. Fold in the blueberries until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups, and bake for 5 minutes at 425F. Keeping muffins in the oven and reduce the heat to 375F. Bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.