This broccoli slaw recipe is fast, easy, and perfect for a barbecue side dish or even lunchtime or an afternoon snack!First Published June 2013; Updated September 2020
Broccoli Slaw Recipe Backstory
Life has been a whirl wind lately. While I am spending much time at home, I have been super busy with work projects. So busy that I feel lucky that I remember to brush my teeth in the morning. Actually, that's a lie. I always remember to brush my teeth especially after eating this broccoli slaw recipe.
Crunchy, salty and sweet. Sounds more like a cookie than a salad, right? It's the ultimate side dish for fall barbecues actually.
I like it with grilled chicken, a burger or a sandwich. It's great for lunch and on sandwiches so I plan on making this salad quite a bit. I hear it looks very pretty on paper plates too!
I love the simplicity of throwing this salad together. Everything goes in a bowl, the dressing gets mixed in and mama is happy. There is no mayonnaise involved so it is also perfect if it sits out for a bit at a BBQ.
How should I store leftover broccoli slaw?
- Place your broccoli slaw in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days.
- Freezing your broccoli slaw isn't recommended. If you need to prepare ahead of time, it's best to freeze the vegetables on their own, then allow them to thaw and add the dressing.
- For some extra crunch and nutty flavor, add almonds, pecans, or walnuts.
- If you're a bacon lover, try incorporating bacon bits, or cook up some bacon yourself and chop into small pieces!
- Add some apple chunks or pieces of pear if you're looking for a little extra sweetness without too many additional calories.
- Some red onion also brings extra flavor to your broccoli slaw. If you're still looking for more punch, chop up some cilantro to mix in as well.
- Cheese can made a delicious add-in for a broccoli slaw and provide another texture. Cheddar is a good place to start with cheese.
- You may also want to include whole pieces of raw broccoli in addition to the slaw, which will make this more of a broccoli salad than a broccoli slaw.
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Mini Parmesan Truffle Hasselback Potatoes
- Braised Collard Greens with Turkey Bacon
- Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini Chips
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- Tomato Pie with Three Cheeses and Basil
- Perfect Homemade Biscuits from Mom on Timeout
- 5 Ingredient Corn Casserole from Tastes of Lizzy T
Perfect BBQ Recipes
- Strawberry Feta Skewers
- Best Steak Tacos
- Homemade Lemonade
- Avocado, Tomato, and Arugula Salad
- Grilled Corn on the Cob from Spend with Pennies
- Grilled Watermelon Halloumi Skewers from How Sweet Eats
- Best Potato Salad from A Spicy Perspective
If you like this Broccoli Slaw recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below!
Sweet and Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- 12 ounces package broccoli slaw
- ½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
- ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup Asian Ginger dressing see note
- Put all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Toss well.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Thanks for stopping by! If you’d like to follow me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter.
Ohhh I love trying new broccoli salads!
This looks like the perfect side for our Father's Day barbeque. My husband will love something new and different on the table. Thanks for the recipe.
Hi Lisa, This looks great and such a perfect recipe for this time of year!!!!
This sounds alot easier than picking the broccoli florets off. I like the sound of this one.
I dread when we re-do our cabinets. I know it will be a winter project. It's on the list and that sucker is long.
Danielle @ Growing Foodie
Sounds delicious and looks gorgeous 🙂 I love it - we could always use more non-mayo side dishes in my house!
A great way of getting broccoli-hating kids to eat their broccoli. Thanks for the recipe.
There are a lot of things that go by the wayside, I'm proud to say, that like you, teeth brushing isn't one of those things.
I love the idea of this! Perfect for a summer BBQ 🙂
Love this recipe! And your presentation is gorgeous! The salad is perfect for picnics or a side dish for really just about any meal. I know what you mean about being so busy...the end of the school year is crazy! Hope you are able to catch your breath soon!
This is my kind of salad! I'd probably package it up to take to work for my lunch every day!