Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies are a fun treat! They can be made with Valentines Day sprinkles or any color that matches a holiday. These chocolate covered Nutter Butters are also a cute gift to make for your favorite Valentine.
Why Make Chocolate Covered Nutter Butters?
Valentines Day is just around the corner. I am not the artistic or crafty type. Frankly, I don't have an artsy bone in my body. I envy moms that can make their kids lunches look like animals or flowers.
There is nothing cute about the cheese, peanut butter or turkey sandwiches I would pack in my kids lunch boxes. So thankfully there is pinterest where I can actually get cute ideas for holidays and get a little creativity flowing.
I decided to dip some Nutter Butter cookies into chocolate and decorate them with Valentines sprinkles. It's easier than you think and the oven didn't even have to be turned on. It's nice to have this no bake treat recipe to make when you are feeling festive.
Ingredients Needed for Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
Nutter Butter cookies or other peanut butter sandwich cookies - I've used Girl Scout cookies and you can use Oreos too if you don't want peanut butter cookies.
Good quality Chocolate - I prefer a good brand of chocolate chips or other melting chocolate for these cookies.
Coconut Oil - A touch is added when I melted the chocolate. It made it very easy to work with and gave the coating a bit of a creamier texture.
How to Dip or Cover Cookies in Chocolate
The chocolate is melted in the microwave and a touch of coconut oil is stirred into a bowl.
I dipped in the whole cookie but started running out of the chocolate mixture at the end. So I ended up doing only half of the cookies for the last few. The funny thing is that my son and husband preferred the half covered ones. They were not as chocolaty and are really good especially if you love the flavor of the peanut butter cookie as much as the chocolate.
The half covered ones are also easier to dip. You don't have to worry about your fingers being covered in chocolate. But if you are making the cookies for a chocolate lover, then go ahead and dip the whole thing. I prefer to do a little of each.
Chopsticks are a good tool to turn the cookies with in the chocolate. And don't forget to have some sheets of wax paper or parchment paper on your baking sheet to lay the dipped cookies on. It really made things easier, especially when cleaning up.
More Valentines Treats
- Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart with Ricotta and Chocolate
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- Cherry Smoothie with Almond Milk
- Cannoli Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Easy Cake Pops via Everyday Eileen
If you like this recipe for Chocolate Dipped peanut Butter Cookies, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cookies
- 12 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- One bag 16 ounces peanut butter sandwich cookies
- Colored sprinkles
- Put the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Choose chocolate melt setting on your microwave and put in the correct weight . Melt chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. You can also melt chocolate in 30 second increments on low setting or in a double boiler.
- Using chop sticks, another utensil, or fingers, dip cookies in chocolate and place on a large cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
- Sprinkle on colored sprinkles. Repeat with remaining chocolate and cookies.
- Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator for thirty minutes or until chocolate hardens. Wrap well or place in plastic containers and store in refrigerator.
First Published February 2017 ; Last Updated February 2021