How about some Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins for Valentines day? This is an easy breakfast treat to share with family or friends.
My son wanted to bring a treat to his class. He wanted me to make donuts but I only have one donut pan that makes six donuts at a time. Since I would have to do four batches, he decided to be easy on mom and have me bake muffins instead. His specifications were that they had to taste like donuts. I have made a muffin before that called for yogurt. Since I didn't have any on hand, I thought I'd try something a little different. I slightly adapted this recipe from Baking Bites and used some colored sugar to make things a little festive.
This recipe produced a moist but light sugary muffin that tasted like fresh donuts. I used pink and red sugars so that these muffins for Valentines day are festive. The colors could easily be adapted for the holiday. Green would be great for St Patty's Day and orange would work well for Halloween. My son was very happy and his classmates liked them as well.
Don't feel like you have to make these Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins for Valentines Day only! I make them all the time. They are great made a day in advance then heated in the microwave for a few seconds. I love them with a cup of coffee or tea. This recipe is now my "go- to" when I want to make a quick and easy muffin.
This recipe is easy enough to make with the kiddos. So have them help too!
If you need some more quick treats for Valentines day, why don't you try one of these? You might already have the ingredients on hand and Valentines Day is the time to treat yourself!
- Nutella Yogurt With Strawberries
- White Chocolate Covered Clementines
- Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Double Decker Chocolate Strawberry Fudge
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins for Valentines Day
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups flour I used half white, half whole wheat
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup colored sugars for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper or aluminum foil liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar & egg until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, & salt. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour in vegetable oil, milk & vanilla extract.
- Divide batter evenly into 10 muffin cups, filling each about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, melt butter & mix together with cinnamon. Pour colored sugar into a small bowl. When muffins are done, brush the top of each with the melted butter mixture then remove from the pan and roll or sprinkle with sugar. Cool on a wire rack before serving.