This Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart is the perfect sweet treat. It's simple to make, and filled with delicious berries, sweet ricotta cheese and drizzled with chocolate!
Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart
I was on a fig kick a few weeks ago but currently my latest craze is strawberries. Every time I go to the produce market or grocery store, I see cartons of beautiful strawberries and I have to bring a few home. They are great for breakfast and dessert. I love that I can get great strawberries all year round. So I had to turn the strawberries into a beautiful Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart.
Don't tell anyone but this was my dinner the other night. It includes fruit and cheese so that's pretty healthy, right?
Seriously, this tart was so easy to put together. My husband is not a big chocolate fan but he thought this had the perfect amount of chocolate on top. I plan on keeping a stash of frozen puff pastry dough in my freezer and making this with other types of fruit too. The NJ peaches are ripe and juicy right now so that could be my next dessert.
Variations to Your Strawberry Tart
- This tart would be fantastic with raspberries, blueberries, or a mixture of different berries.
- Other kinds of drizzle would also work: dark, milk, or white chocolate and even caramel would be great. Or you could just give this strawberry tart a sprinkling of some powdered sugar.
- For an extra kick of flavor, try grating some lemon or orange peel over the chocolate drizzle. You could also mix this in with the ricotta and sugar mixture before you spread it onto the pastry.
How do I find the best strawberries?
- Look for good colors, bright red berries and healthy green leaves.
- The berries should look plump, not dry or shriveled at all.
- Size plays a bit of a role–smaller strawberries tend to be sweeter, but big ones are also delicious if you know what to look for!
- Make sure to look at the container from the top and bottom to make sure there aren’t any bad berries.
How long will this puff pastry tart last after being made?
- A tart like this is best enjoyed the day it's made, and it's so delicious I doubt you'll have leftovers!
- If you want to make this ahead of time, it will last 2 days in the refrigerator.
- I don't recommend freezeing this tart as the ricotta cheese might change it's texture. Besides, it is so quick and easy to make fresh or a day or two before eating it.
Need More Strawberry Inspiration? Try These Recipes:
- Balsamic Brown Sugar Strawberries
- Double Strawberry Muffins
- Rosemary Pork Chops with Balsamic Strawberry Sauce from The Hungry Housewife
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- Double Strawberry Muffins
More Recipes for Puff Pastry Tarts:
- Apple Galette with Ricotta and Almonds
- Caramel Nectarine Tart
- Ricotta Tomato Tart
- Puff Pastry Cream Cheese Fruit Tarts via Lord Byron's Kitchen
- Prosciutto Puff Pastry Tart via Olivia's Cuisine
If you like this Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart with Ricotta and Chocolate
- 1 large sheet of thawed puff pastry about 8 to 9 ounces
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- 1 TBS coarse sugar
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 TBS heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pastry dough and place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta and powdered sugar. Spread on pasty dough.
- Place the sliced strawberries on top of the ricotta in a neat decorative order. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake tart for about 16 to 21 minutes or until edges of pastry is golden brown.
- While tart is baking, melt the chocolate chips and add the cream. Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the tart with the chocolate after it comes out of the oven.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
First Published May 2013; Updated September 2020