This Cherry Smoothie with Almond Milk is a delicious vegan smoothie recipe. It's so good, you'll forget that it's healthy!
Why You'll Love This Cherry Smoothie
There is usually lots of candy laying around my kitchen around Valentine's day. And it always seems to find it's way in my mouth. Caramels, M and M's, chocolate hearts...it's just not good. Actually, it's tastes very good but you know exactly what I mean.
Instead of making a sugar filled recipe for Valentines day this year, I want to make something healthy. Something with fruits and vegetables included will work well. This smoothie is sweet but definitely has some health benefits to it.
Since I will be indulging in beef tenderloin and pasta with blush sauce for dinner, I think a nice light breakfast will be in order. This cherry smoothie with almond milk is what I want and it is a vegan recipe that tastes like a treat.
Cherries and almond milk are a perfect combination. I add a banana for sweetness and some red spinach for more nutrition. You can use green spinach if you can't find red. But since I saw a bag of red spinach at Trader Joe's I just couldn't pass it up especially if I am making it for Valentine's day. It has a bit of a strong earthier taste so you don't want to use too much.
What ingredients do you need to make this vegan smoothie?
- cherries - I bought mine frozen and pitted to make prep super simple. Feel free to use fresh cherries but you will have to pit them. It is also a good idea to freeze them before making the smoothie.
- banana - Provides lots of sweetness and some extra texture to your smoothie.
- spinach - F0r this recipe I used baby red spinach to stick with the color scheme but you can use regular green baby spinach too. The color of your smoothie might be a little lighter red but the taste will not vary too much.
- almond milk - Unsweetened almond milk was my choice. If you like a sweeter smoothie, you could try sweetened almond milk too. There's also chocolate almond milk; you could make a chocolate cherry smoothie. If you don't like almond milk or have an allergy to it, regular milk or soy milk can also be used.
Health Benefits of this Cherry Smoothie
- These smoothies are packed with nutrients and antioxidants from the cherries! Cherries are a very healthy fruit and have also been known to increase sleep quality and benefit heart health.
- Because this is a smoothie with almond milk, it's completely vegan and free of dairy.
- Spinach and banana also provide lots of great nutritional value and also contain fiber to help keep you fuller longer.
- This healthy vegan smoothie is a great way to start the day. It is refreshing but filling enough to not make me crave a morning snack.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you're looking for some more healthy smoothie recipes, check out these great choices!
- Blueberry Almond Milk Smoothie from Whole Food Bellies
- Green Pina Colada Smoothies
- Tropical Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
While I decided on smoothies, for Valentine's day breakfast, they really are good for any breakfast or snack. It's a way to have a good treat by using only natural sweetness!
If you like this vegan smoothie recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Cherry Smoothie with Almond Milk
- 2 cups frozen pitted cherries
- 1 banana sliced
- 1 cup baby red spinach (see notes)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Put all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses and serve.
First published February 2015; Updated January 2021
Thanks for stopping by! If you’d like to follow me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter.
I just got the apron in the mail today - EEK! I love it! When my daughter read the label and said "who is Lisa Grant" I yelled "Jersey Girl Cooks!"
You are so sweet to think of me. It's been a surreal couple months, but I know I have to keep moving forward, as difficult as it is. So I really appreciate it!