Turn your favorite cocktail into a healthy green smoothie. This Green Pina Colada Smoothie tastes like a frozen cocktail but instead of alcohol, it's loaded with greens and coconut milk. Make this green smoothie recipe for breakfast this week!
When I want a breakfast or snack that is light and refreshing, I make a Green Pina Colada Smoothie. In fact, sometimes it is made several times a week. I am not a big breakfast person but I don't mind drinking a coconut milk smoothie, especially in the summer.
What is a Pina Colada?
A tradional pina colada is a cocktail that originated in Puerto Rico. The name piña colada (in Spanish) literally is translated to mean "strained pineapple". The authentic drick consists of pineapple, coconut milk or cream and rum. It is served frozen and is on erefrshing and sweet cocktail. I decicded to create a more healthy smoothie version of this alcoholic beverage.
Ingredients Needed for this Green Smoothie Recipe
- Banana - Stick your over ripe bananas in a freezer bag in the freezer and save them for smoothies.
- Baby Spinach or Baby Kale - You won't even taste the spinach or kale but it will give your smoothie a beautiful green color and loads of nutrients.
- Pineapple - Fresh pineapple will have the most nutritional value but canned pineapple chunks can also be used. If using canned look for fruit in 100% juice rather than syrup.
- Light Coconut Milk - The amount of fat and calories in coconut milk found in the dairy section is usually much less than the cans found in the Asian section. Both options work for coconut milk smoothies, but make a choice that fits your needs.
- Crushed Ice - This will make your smoothie nice and cold but you can skip the ice if you use frozen fruit instead.
Tips and Variations for Green Smoothie Recipes
- Keep leftover fruit in the freezer in individual portions for easy smoothies any time.
- For thicker smoothies add more ice or more fruit. You can even add yogurt.
- For thinner smoothies add more water, milk or dairy alternative.
- Want a sweeter smoothie? Add in a little bit of honey or maple syrup.
- Baby spinach and kale will have a more mild flavor.
- Add in protein powder to make your smoothie a full meal.
- Mix in cocoa powder or peanut butter for more flavor.
- Substitute fruit juice for the dairy or dairy alternative.
More Smoothie Recipes
- Cherry Almond Smoothie
- Tropical Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- Pumpkin Smoothie via Snappy Gourmet
If you like this Pina Colada Coconut Milk Smoothie, please leave a 5-star rating.
Green Pina Colada Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 cup baby spinach or baby kale
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks canned can also be used
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Add all ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve.
First Published July 2015 ; Updated June 2021