Air fryer roasted tomatoes are rich, robust and perfect for adding to pasta, sauces, soups and more. Roasting in a blend of oil, herbs and spices caramelizes the tomatoes and brings out an intense tomato flavor.
I love tomatoes no matter how they are served, but these air fryer tomatoes are near the top of my list of favorite ways to enjoy them. Air fryer roasted tomatoes are intensely flavorful and nutty and can be added to many different recipes. It's the perfect way to transform ripe tomatoes from the grocery store, garden or farmer's market. They make a great pasta sauce using simple ingredients or I serve them with toasted bread to make a delicious appetizer.
The best part of this recipe is the simplicity. All you need are tomatoes, oil and some seasoning. I love garlic, kosher salt and pepper, but you can add fresh or dried herbs, balsamic vinegar or a sprinkle of crushed red pepper to take these air fryer roast tomatoes to a whole new level.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Use any color of cherry tomatoes.
- Olive Oil – Use a neutral flavored oil or bump up the flavor by using extra virgin olive oil.
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper – Be sure to season the tomatoes really well.
- Garlic – Use freshly peeled and minced garlic. It has more flavor than jarred garlic.
- Fresh Herbs – Sprinkle with fresh herbs such as fresh basil, fresh thyme or rosemary.
- Balsamic Glaze – Optionally drizzle with balsamic glaze for a boost of flavor.
See the recipe card for exact quantities and instructions.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half with a sharp knife.
2. Toss the tomatoes in a small bowl with oil, salt, pepper and herbs until well coated.
3. Place the tomato halves cut side up in a single layer in the air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until they reach the desired level of caramelization.
4. Carfully remove from air fryer basket and garnish with fresh herbs or balsamic vinegar if desired.
Hint: Toss the cut tomatoes with the oil and seasoning in a bowl to ensure every surface is well coated. This will give you maximum flavor and help you achieve even browning on the surface of the tomatoes.
- Herbs - Salt, pepper and garlic will give these tomatoes tons of flavor, but you can give them a boost by adding fresh or dried herbs such as Italian seasoning.
- Spicy Tomatoes - Toss in a pinch or two of crushed red pepper for a spicy kick.
- Balsamic Glaze - A splash or two of balsamic glaze adds a sweet and sour flavor that enhances the tomatoes.
- Tomatoes – Use grape tomatoes, Roma tomatoes which are like Italian plum tomatoes, colored heirloom tomatoes or large tomato slices to change things up. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size of the tomatoes.
- Smoky – Sprinkle the tomatoes with a bit of smoked paprika for a hint of smokiness.
This air fryer roasted tomato recipe is best made using an air fryer with a basket or tray. Large air fryers with racks will not work well with small cherry tomatoes but do great with larger tomatoes.
Cooking times can vary depending on your type or brand of air fryer. Begin checking the tomatoes at the 7-minute mark to ensure that the edges don't burn too much. (A little char actually adds a lot of flavor.)
Fridge: Roasted tomatoes will keep for about seven days in an airtight container such as a mason jar. Drizzle them with olive oil for even more flavor.
Freezer: When packed in freezer-safe containers, air fryer roasted tomatoes will keep for about three months before they begin to lose their flavor.
Canning: If you are into canning as a means of preserving, roasted tomatoes can be canned for long-term storage.
Clean your air fryer tray well and save all of the juices that cook out of the tomatoes and collect in the bottom of the air fryer basket. They are full of flavor and will enhance the recipe if you add them back to the roasted tomatoes for pasta dishes, soups and more.
Air Fryer Tomatoes Serving Suggestions
Air fryer roasted tomatoes are so sweet and delicious that you will want to eat them almost like candy. They can be added to all sorts of recipes from appetizers to main dishes, and it also makes a great side dish as is sprinkled with fresh herbs.
Use these tasty tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes on bruschetta or in chicken tortilla soup. Mix them into vegetarian penne pasta sauce or substitute them for stewed tomatoes in black beans and rice with smoke sausage. Pile roasted tomatoes on top of grilled chicken.
Roasted tomatoes and cheese are a marriage made in heaven. Top homemade pizza or use them in this roasted tomato grilled cheese recipe from Farm Girl Gabs.
You can use these tomatoes in place of fresh, stewed or canned tomatoes in almost any recipe.
There is no need to flip the tomatoes while they cook. This allows the edges to caramelize and builds more flavor.
For the best results, roast the tomatoes with the skins on. They will add flavor and caramelization.
For large tomatoes, you should halve the tomato or cut it into thick slices before roasting. When roasting cherry tomatoes, halving is optional and may depend on how you plan to use them. I prefer to halve them, but you can skip this step if desired.
If you like this Air Fryer Tomatoes, please leave a 5 star rating below.
Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
- basket air fryer
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- optional: fresh herbs, balsamic glaze
- Wash the tomatoes, remove any stems and cut them in half on a cutting board.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl along with the olive oil, salt, pepper amnd garlic. Gently mix until the tomatoes are well coated.
- Transfer the tomatoes to the air fryer basket skin side down. Set the oven on 400 degrees F. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes depending on how done you like your toimatoes. The longer they cook the more dry and browned they will be.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or balsamic glaze and serve or store for later use.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Another delicious air fryer recipe to make! And even better because this can be done in no time and perfect for bruschetta
The BEST WAY to use up all my cherry tomatoes from my garden! So tasty and perfect for a side dish when grilling outside!
These tomatoes were perfect for brushetta and the air fryer makes it so easy! This recipe is a keeper, thank you!
I made these air fryer roasted tomatoes to serve with mozzarella and fresh basil on crusty bread slices and my guests (at a bridal shower) fell in love! I'll definitely add this to my party recipe collection.
So easy and delicious. This is a great way to cook tomatoes.
Wow..one more recipe to try in my air fryer! So easy and perfectly done. Can't wait to make it again to serve my family.
I recently made these tomatoes and they turned out fantastic! They were beautifully caramelized and had a rich, intense flavor that added a delicious twist to my pasta dish. My family loved them too and we'll definitely be making them again.
I love roasted tomatoes and using my air fryer but I've never put the two together before! Your recipe made the most delicious roasted tomatoes and I can't wait to put them on lots of sandwiches and salads this summer.
I served these tomatoes as a side dish at dinner, it was easy and so flavorful.