Today the Sunday Supper tastemakers are displaying citrus recipes. I absolutely love citrus! It was hard to decide on just one recipe.
I frequently use lemons and limes in both sweet and savory dishes. But today I decided to do something a little different and bake with oranges. I love everything about oranges. They are sweet, juicy and smell great. I used to buy this delicious orange air freshener and then it was discontinued. Rats! So now I mix together a little orange oil with some distilled water in a mini spray bottle. And I have my own homemade orange air freshener.
So I made sure I had a bag of oranges in our house before I started my baking. My daughter was home from college last week and I could not keep enough oranges in the house. I went through several four pound bags. But hey they’re healthy, right? I made sure to have some semisweet chocolate chips. Orange and chocolate is the best combination! If you have not tried chocolate and orange, you really are missing out.
Chocolate and orange is a muffin is just great! I love to have a batch of muffins come out of the oven on a Sunday morning. They go great with a cup of coffee or tea. And my house smells like an orange air freshener with a hint of chocolate.
I like having muffin tops on my muffins so I fill the cups as much as I can. This recipe makes 12 muffins which are on the larger side. You could probably make 14 to 16 smaller muffins. I used chocolate chunks but you can use chips or chunks.
It’s even better when I bake a double batch. These muffins are the perfect thing to hand to my teenagers when they are leaving the house for school. It’s not easy to get them to eat breakfast but with these muffins at least I have a chance. They are drizzled with more chocolate which makes them even better. Make sure to have a napkin ready when eating them.
Check out all the other Sunday Supper recipes below. These citrus recipes are sure to make you smile. They also will make you very hungry! When life gives you lemons, cook with them.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola oil plus ½ teaspoon (reserved for drizzle)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- the zest from one large orange
- 1¼ cup chocolate chips (or chunks), divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a twelve tin muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together sugar, ½ cup oil, eggs, buttermilk, orange juice and zest.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly mix in the wet ingredients until well combined. Do not overmix. Add I cup of the chocolate chips. Reserve ¼ cup for drizzle.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until muffins are golden and toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before moving to a baking rack.
- In a small bowl mix together ¼ cup reserved chocolate chips and ½ teaspoon reserved canola oil. Melt in microwave at 30 second increments until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over muffins.
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.