Let’s just pretend you did not hear the word cauliflower. Now let’s talk about food for the big game on Sunday.
You’re probably thinking pizza, chili, hoagies, French fries, chicken wings and tacos. Should I mention more?
These are things my husband and most men would want while watching the big game. And my husband is very lucky (and he knows it) because I will be in the kitchen making those things. I used to watch every minute of every football game when I was younger. But now I prefer to be in the kitchen if my team is not in the big game. Hanging with friends is good too. I just don’t have the need to watch every minute of the Super Bowl anymore. It really helps that I have an open kitchen also where I can see the TV and cook at the same time.
Now let me get back to the cauliflower. That’s not something you would expect to eat during a football game. Actually my husband and son would not want to eat cauliflower while watching any sport. They wouldn’t until now. I kept seeing buffalo cauliflower “wings” all over the internet. I am not going to call them wings because that would be misleading. I am not trying to trick anyone but just want to share my love of this good cauliflower. I made this last night and it was a winner. The husband ate half a plate and proclaimed that he couldn’t believe how good it was. I’m still working on getting my non- vegetable- eating son to take a few bites. Oh those teenage boys!
To make these look a little similar to Buffalo wings (even though I am not trying to trick anyone), cut the head of cauliflower into florets that are a little bigger than bite size. They should be big enough to dip in ranch or blue cheese dressing. I dipped the cauliflower in a batter then placed it on a sheet pan coated with cooking spray. Cooking time can vary a little. I like mine very crunchy so sometimes I hit the broil button of my oven for the last few minutes of cooking.
Don’t get me wrong as I am not serving this to a bunch of football watching men instead of wings or meat. But it is nice to have a lighter appetizer that consists of vegetables. It is especially good for my vegetarian friends that will be watching the game. And maybe, just maybe it will make my butt a little smaller if I continue to eat these instead of Buffalo wings.
Now go buy a nice head of cauliflower and try this. You might like it!
- one medium size head of cauliflower
- 1 cup skim milk
- ½ cup hot pepper sauce plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel any outside leaves off of cauliflower, wash and cut into pieces (a little bigger than bite size)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, 2 Tablespoons hot pepper sauce (reserve rest for later), flour, garlic powder and salt.
- Add cauliflower and mix until all pieces are well coated.
- Spay a large baking sheet pan with cooking spray. Remove cauliflower with slotted spoon or tongs and place in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until cauliflower is crispy. Turn once so in the middle of baking so both sides are crispy. Broiler can also be turned on for last few minutes of cooking for extra crispy cauliflower.
- While cauliflower is baking, mix together melted butter, remaining ½ cup of hot sauce and honey (or agave).
- Toss cauliflower with sauce when it comes out of the oven. Serve immediately with dressing.