This has been one of the coldest and snowy winters that I can remember. We have been snowed in quite a few times and all I want to do is eat big bowls of macaroni and cheese with warm chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Actually some hot apple pie with whipped cream would be nice too.
What I want and what I get are two different things. If I kept eating mac and cheese and cookies my clothes wouldn’t fit. So I stop and think about perfect comfort food that is not filled with calories out to wazoo. It seems like even when school is cancelled there are still things to do so I don’t have as much time to cook as I thought I would.
This meal is a perfect one dish meal in that it is not too bad for you and it cooks in my usual 30 minute timeframe. I added healthy red cabbage and used turkey kielbasa to make this one great meal.
I got together with some of my blogger friends so you can have an array of one dish meals to keep you cooking all winter. I know I will be trying some of these for dinners myself. Check them out below!
- 1 TBS olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces shredded red cabbage
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 TBS honey
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 ounces sliced turkey kielbasa( you use any type you'd like)
- 1 (16 ounce)box mini pierogi
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add cabbage, vinegar, honey and garlic powder. Cook for additional 10 minutes or until veggies are wilted and cooked through.
- Push cabbage mixture to side of pan and saute sliced kielbasa on other side of pan until it starts to brown. Mix together well.
- Add pierogi to pan, turn heat to low and cook for about 6 minutes or until pierogi is fully cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve garnished with sour cream and parsley.