Pierogi with Red Cabbage and Kielbasi is an easy comfort meal that you can whip up in 30 minutes. I love making this dinner!
Quick meals are the best meals in my book because I want to enjoy dinner without a lot of fuss. Easy clean up afterward is always a bonus. This dinner consists of frozen pierogi, kielbasi and red cabbage. You can shred the cabbage yourself but to make things even easier, you can buy pre-shredded cabbage in the produce section of your grocery store. I tend to use the pre-cut packaged vegetables when I am in a hurry. If you'd like to get some tips on cutting cabbage yourself, Healing Tomato can give you some good information.
Red cabbage gives this dish lots of color but if you can only find green cabbage, that works too. Right now, the CSA I go to in the summer has had beautiful heads of green cabbage so I will use that. I like to use whatever is in season.
Frozen pierogi or homemade ones work in this dish!
Pierogi is good old fashioned comfort food. I love making them homemade but it is a labor intensive process. I always keep some packages of frozen pierogi in my freezer as they are perfect for busy nights. Healthy red cabbage and turkey kielbasa are added to make this one great wholesome meal.
Pierogi with red cabbage and kielbasi is on my dinner menu at least once a month. I hope you will give this a try and love it as much as I do!
Pierogi with Red Cabbage and Kielbasa
- 1 TBS olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces shredded red cabbage
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1 TBS honey
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 ounces sliced turkey kielbasa you use any type you'd like
- 1 16 ouncebox mini pierogi
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add cabbage, vinegar, honey and garlic powder. Cook for additional 10 minutes or until veggies are wilted and cooked through.
- Push cabbage mixture to side of pan and saute sliced kielbasa on other side of pan until it starts to brown. Mix together well.
- Add pierogi to pan, turn heat to low and cook for about 6 minutes or until pierogi is fully cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve garnished with sour cream and parsley.