My family loves fried chicken. They think there is nothing better than picking up a nice greasy bucket of chicken from a fast food joint. In fact, that has been the kids’ birthday dinner choices for more times than I care to admit. I, on the other hand, am not so happy with the sluggishness and heartburn after eating a few pieces of fried chicken. Now don’t get me wrong. I can put down a few pieces like the rest of them but I really could do without the after effects and extra calories.
A few years back, I was reading my friend, Julie’s blog and came up with a way to make everyone happy. She created this great recipe for oven baked fried chicken. I have made this recipe so many times and decided to slightly adapt it to my family’s taste. I changed some of the seasonings and added extra coating. I can never get enough of the crispy spicy coating. I also make mine by removing the skin. It gets rid of a few calories and the coating is so good that no one misses it.
This recipe is definitely a little more work than I can handle if we have a busy night of sports practices. But it can be made in advance and reheated. My husband loves to eat it cold too. It is definitely worth the extra work. There will be no more fast food for birthdays at my house!
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 12 chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks) on bones, skin removed
- 1½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- In a large casserole dish, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, curry, hot sauce, garlic and 2 teaspoons salt to blend well. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day, turning occasionally.
- Place racks on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and spray the racks with nonstick spray. In a large baking dish, whisk the Panko, cheese, flour, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Add the chicken to the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat completely. Arrange the chicken on the racks on the baking sheets. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees and place oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Bake the chicken until crisp, golden, and cooked through, about 55 minutes, switching positions of the trays halfway through.