This chicken shawarma sandwich recipe is made with flavorful and tender marinated chicken thigh meat served on a warm pita with your favorite toppings. The aroma alone will entice you to make this easy shawarma sandwich recipe again and again.
What is a Chicken Shawarma sandwich?
A shawarma sandwich is a Middle Eastern wrap that consists of some type of roasted or grilled meat served on pita bread. The meat is usually marinated in a warm seasoning blend before it is cooked. The smell of it cooking is incredible! I like my shawarma with chicken.
- Lemon – Use the juice of one fresh lemon. It will be more flavorful than bottled lemon juice.
- Olive Oil – Or use your favorite light, neutral flavored oil.
- Garlic – Severall cloved of minced garlic add a deep, earthy flavor.
- Seasonings – A blend of salt, curry powder and a dash of cayenne powder create a flavorful marinade. If you really want to bump up the flavor of the marinade you can add in additional spices such as cumin, smoked paprika, cinnamon, cardamom and ground corriander to taste.
- Chicken – I prefer the falvor and juiciness of boneless, skinless chicken thighs but you can use chicken breast.
- Pita Bread – Stuff or roll the chicken in a pita with toppings to make a flavorful sandwich. You can also pile chicken shawarma on a salad.
- Toppings – See our complete list below.
How to Make Chicken Shawarma
- Combine the marinade ingredients and the chicken thighs in an airtight container. Marinate in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight.
- Lay the chicken on a roasting pan and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken with a fork.
- Serve on pita bread with your favorite toppings.
Chicken Shawarma Sandwich Topping Ideas
How you top your chicken shawarma sandwich is a personal preference and there is really no wrong way to do it. These are some of my favorite toppings to mix and match.
- Tahini sauce
- yogurt sauce
- chopped tomatoes
- thinly sliced onions
- feta cheese
- pickle slices
Tips for Serving Shawarma Sandwiches
I like to serve everything on a big platter or board so everyone can make their own Chicken Shawarma sandwich with any toppings they like. It's a good choice to serve when you are having company too.
What should you serve with Chicken Shawarma?
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Bacon
- Pan Roasted Potato Salad with Arugula and Crispy Prosciutto
- Garbanzo Beans and Beet Salad
- Avocado, Tomato and Arugula Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
So now that you see how easy Chicken Shawarma is to make, why don't you give it a try? Enjoy!
If you like this Chicken Shawarma Sandwich, please leave a 5-star rating.
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- dash of cayenne powder
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- pita breads
- various toppings such as chopped tomatoes, cucumber, olives, hummus, lettuce, pickles, etc
- In a large container, mix together lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, curry, and cayenne. Add chicken and toss to coat. Marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay chicken in a roasting pan and bake for 35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Shred chicken with knife and fork when cooked. (Chicken can be pan fried with a spoon of olive oil if desired.)
- Serve on pita breads and with toppings such as Tahini sauce, hummus, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, parsley or whatever you like!
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.