Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich

by jerseygirl on September 24, 2010 · 18 comments

If NJ had an official breakfast sandwich it would be pork roll, egg and cheese. Have you ever had one before? If not, you are missing out! I have heard people from out of my area say they have never heard of it before and cannot find it in their local grocery store. Pork roll is one of those types of meat that taste great but don’t read the label. I know if I looked at the calorie and ingredient content, it just wouldn’t be as enjoyable. I do know that you can get one of these sandwiches at any NJ diner or on the boardwalk in any NJ shore town. This time I decided to make my own.

There is really no recipe here. First I fry the tangy slices of pork roll in a nice big pan. I love mine well done and crispy. Mmmmmnnn!

Then you need to scramble and fry a few eggs. Make sure to toast the bagel or roll you are using. Both work well but I love having an onion bagel for my bread. Melt the cheese over the egg and pork roll. Another Mmmmnnnnn! Make sure you serve it with plenty of ketchup. Then eat this delicious sandwich. You might need a nap after it! Enjoy!

The Japanese Redneck September 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Wonder if it's the same thing as our souther bologna?

That's my kind of breakfast.

Have a great weekend.

Nutmeg Nanny September 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I never had pork roll until I moved to NJ. I learned to like it but I still prefer bacon 🙂

Charlene September 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm

That looks tasty. Pork roll in your picture reminds me of Canadian bacon.

theresa September 24, 2010 at 9:24 pm

There's nothing like pork roll (Taylor Ham), omg! Loved the pics, I prefer mine w/o ketchup 'tho!

Lonnie September 26, 2010 at 10:22 am

I read this Saturday at work and got the craving. This morning I put on the coffee and ran out to get the pork roll. Then made myself the perfect pork roll, egg & cheese sandwich ever, with one exception: I wasn't eating it on the boardwalk!

Thanks for putting the idea in my head!

PS – Looks like you slice yours thin. I like my pork roll sliced nice and thick!

Pam September 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I'd love this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! It looks tasty.

Niki September 26, 2010 at 8:11 pm

As a jersey girl myself, this happens to be my favorite breakfast sandwich. And your right, people from out of state never heard of pork roll, or they call it taylor ham.

Marine1967 June 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I found that beyond Bucks County and its rare there also, you will never find it. Same in New York, beyond a few NYC delis, hard commodity to find. NJ, everywhere. Kentucky loves their pork, but no pork roll, Im going to talk to the local butcher and see if he can match it.

Val September 27, 2010 at 12:36 am

This looks so tasty!!

Julie September 27, 2010 at 10:20 am

I don't think I've ever even seen pork roll, but I'd love some of that sandwich!

John and Lisa Howard-Fusco September 28, 2010 at 2:33 am

It's the breakfast of Jersey champions! – John

Bill September 28, 2010 at 8:27 am

I can't count how many pork roll sandwiches I've eaten over the years. I like mine on an English Muffin which is usually the exact same diameter as the port roll.

Megan September 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

MMM I love a good pork roll, egg and cheese sammy! I think I might have to go get one at the Allenwood General Store this weekend!!!

black eyed susans kitchen October 2, 2010 at 10:25 am

Lisa, You really made me laugh with this recipe. Coming from a New York upbringing, but living in New Jersey for the last 35 years, I did not grow up with pork roll. My husband introduced me to it. It was my kids though who got me to like it. They are Jersey kids through and through and I have sent many a roll of Taylor Ham to them in college!
♥, Susan

onangelwings October 3, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Nothing says, Jersey like Taylor Ham, Eggs and Cheese on a roll! Early morning breakfasts after clubbing in the 90's

Panama City Real Estate | Jennifer July 4, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh my Pork roll, egg and cheese sandwiches are incredible.

I miss the ones from the Monmouth queen – Pork Roll, egg, cheese and potato on kaiser roll.

Mmmm

Thanks for bringing back these memories.

I'm going to buy some Pork roll now

gill April 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

You need to try a porkroll egg and cheese from big daddys grille.one of the best porkroll sandwiches around.located in Neptune city on stiener Ave.you’ll want to come back for more.delicious