Mini Mexican Frittatas are loaded with eggs, cheese and veggies and make the perfect healthy egg breakfast. Once you try this baked healthy frittata recipe, you'll make mini crustless quiche once a week!
How are these mini frittatas healthy?
We love eating eggs for breakfast and this healthy frittata recipe is one of our favorites.
2% milk cheese and the extra veggies lighten this recipe up and make it super healthy. I also used 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites instead of 12 eggs. The fat content is lowered by using fewer yolks, but you still get the deep yellow color and richness rather than using all egg whites. The Incredible Egg is so good and good for you and it makes making healthy egg breakfasts so easy!
This mini frittata recipe uses frozen peppers and corn which include vitamins and fiber. I like using the frozen peppers in these egg bites because they so tender, almost like they are partially cooked. I also defrost them along with the corn to make sure the frittatas are not watery. If you want to use fresh peppers, go ahead. Chop them really fine though as they may be a little more crunchy than the frozen kind.
Ingredients for Mini Fritata Recipe
- Cooking Spray – Spritz the pan before cooking to keep the mini fritata recipe from sticking.
- Eggs – This recipe uses whole eggs and egg whites to keep these lower in fat and cholesterol while still providing the nutritional goodness of egg yolks.
- Sweet Peppers – Chopped and defrosted frozen peppers are perfect for making a quick breakfast.
- Corn – Use defrosted kernel corn or drained canned corn.
- Herbs and Seasonings – Combine kosher salt and onion powder along with dried parsley.
- Hot Sauce – A few dashes of hot sauce add flavor and a bit of heat. Add more or less depending on how much you like.
- Cheese – Use shredded 2% milk Mexican blend cheese or substitute with cheddar if desired.
- Sour Cream and Salsa – Add a dollop of sour cream and salsa to each frittata for serving.
How to Make Mini Frittatas
- Spray a non stick muffin tin with cooking spray to coat well.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites then mix in salt, onion powder, hot sauce, peppers, corn and cheese.
- Divide the egg mixture between the 12 cups and sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 18 to 22 minutes or until eggs are puffy and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for five to 10 minutes then run a plastic knife around each cup to loosen eggs. Carefully remove with a plastic spatula.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
- Eggs – We like a combination of whole eggs and egg whites but you can use all egg whites or all whole eggs if you prefer.
- Add Meat – These vegetarian egg bites are delicious but you can certainly add meat if you are so inclined. Stir in cooked sausage, ham or bacon.
- Spicy – Use pepper jack cheese and chopped jalapeno to make spicy egg bites.
Mini Crustless Quiche Serving Suggestions
I have one word of advice. Serve these Skinny Mini Mexican Frittatas with a small spoon of sour cream and some salsa on the side. Just a bit of sour cream will really made these frittatas have a rich taste and it's the perfect finish for these low carb egg muffins.
I have some fruit salad on the side and I am ready to go. We can always splurge and have waffles on the weekends.
Storing and Reheating these Mexican Frittatas
This recipe makes a dozen mini frittatas and they are perfect to make in advance. You can keep this healthy frittata recipe in the fridge for a few days. Make sure the mini muffin egg cups are well wrapped or in an air tight plastic container. Heat up your egg puffs in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds when you are ready to eat them and your breakfast is ready like that.
Healthy Egg Breakfasts
- Roasted Asparagus with Eggs
- Spinach Mushroom Frittata with Goat Cheese
- Scrambled Eggs and Avocado from FoodFanatic
There are no excuses for not eating a healthy breakfast in the morning when you can enjoy simple mini crustless quiche in under 30 minutes!
If you like this baked mini fritata recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Healthy Mini Mexican Frittata Recipe
- Cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup frozen sweet peppers defrosted (or fresh chopped fine)
- ¾ cup frozen corn defrosted (canned is fine also)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce more/ less depending on how much you like
- ½ cup shredded 2% milk Mexican cheese cheddar can be substituted
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- sour cream and salsa for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a non stick muffin tin with cooking spray. Make sure every inch of the cups are coated.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Mix in salt, onion powder, hot sauce, peppers, corn and cheese.
- Divide egg mixture amongst the 12 cups. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until eggs are puffy and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for five to 10 minutes. Run a plastic knife around each cup to loosen eggs. Carefully remove with a plastic spatula.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
- Store leftovers wrapped in the fridge. Frittatas can be reheated in microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
First Published August 2019 ; Updated July 2021
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Agness of Run Agness Run
L0vely presentation, these frittatas look amazing! I am definitely saving this recipe for later!
heather (delicious not gorgeous)
this sounds like the perfect make ahead breakfast! the only thing that would make it better is serving it with some guac (;
I absolutely love mini frittatas and love to take them to work for easy lunch!
Looking forward to trying these! Any idea how many calories each one has?
Each one has only 62 calories! I just updated the recipe with the nutrition information.
I'm going to make a batch of these to stock my fridge for a quick breakfast. I am lazy in the morning, but would love start the day with more protein and these look SO yummy!
I love prepping breakfast for the week ahead of time, makes it so easy to stay healthy! This flavor combination is delicious, perfect to shake things up!
I love these egg muffins. I cannot stop laughing at plump rump...I may be there right now. These are a perfect snack or breakfast that is just delicious. The recipe is so easy to follow and the whole family loves them.
Yeah, after the holidays my rump is always a little plump...haha. I'll make these every week until bathing suit season 🙂
Mini-Frittatas are always a great idea and I followed yours: just lovely
I've only replaced parsley with chives that I had to hand.
Thank you for sharing 🙂
I made these last week and loved them! I definitely had one (or two) each day and never got tired of them! The sour cream and salsa were a great addition, too! Making more for next week!
I love how easy these are to make! We make a big batch each week to help with busy mornings.