Instant Pot tortilla soup is loaded with shredded chicken and the Mexican flavors you love like black beans, corn, green chiles, salsa and warm spices like cumin and chili powder. This Southwest Chicken Tortilla soup is easy to customize with your favorite toppings for a warm and comforting bowl. If you don't have an instant pot, follow the stove top method instructions.
Why I love this Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
I love having a bowl of soup for dinner. But when I am having soup I don't want just a light bowl of broth and noodles. I like a bowl of hearty soup that makes me feel warm and cozy.
This southwest chicken tortilla soup is loaded with all of your favorite Mexican flavors like corn, black beans and lots of tender chicken. It's just what the doctor ordered.
Not only is this soup delicious but it cooks in under 30 minutes in your instant pot or pressure cooker. It is the ultimate comfort food for a weeknight dinner!
- Olive Oil – Or use your favorite light, neutral-flavored oil.
- Aromatics – A combination of onion and garlic add lots of flavor and aroma to this soup.
- Diced Chiles – A small can of diced chiles add a touch of heat and a classic flavor. Look for chiles in mild, medium or hot depending on your preference.
- Roasted Tomatoes – Fire roasted tomatoes have a wonderful smoky flavor. Sometimes I even roast my own tomatoes in the air fryer.
- Salsa – Use your favorite jarred or homemade salsa. You can also use taco or enchilada sauce if you'd like a less chunky soup.
- Seasonings – Chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper provide flavor.
- Black Beans – Black beans are flavorful and packed with protein. You can easily substitute pinto beans if you'd like to.
- Chicken Broth – Use low sodium broth and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt if necessary.
- Chicken – Boneless and skinless chicken breasts are easy to work with but you could also use thighs or even leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Corn – I prefer the freshness of frozen corn but you can use a can of drained corn.
- Toppings – See our full list of toppings below.
Tortilla Soup Toppings
Topping this southwest chicken tortilla soup is almost as fun as eating it. I like to prepare several bowls of topping options so everyone can customize their bowl.
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Shredded cheese or cotija cheese
- Sliced jalapeno
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Diced avocado or guacamole
- Chopped cucumber
How To Make Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Set the instant pot to saute and cook the onion in oil for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant then turn off the saute function and deglaze the pot with ½ cup of chicken broth.
- Add remaining broth, chicken, spices, tomatoes, salsa, chilies, corn and beans. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve on the Instant Pot. Cook on high for 10 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and shred it with two forks.
- Return the chicken to the soup and mix everything together.
- Serve the Instant Pot tortilla soup in bowls and add toppings as desired. (See full instructions in the recipe card below as well as how to make this soup on the stove in a Dutch oven.)
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
When the soup has cooled, portion into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating.
If you are using an 8-quart Instant Pot you should have plenty of room to double this recipe. I would not recommend doubling if you have a 6-quart Instant Pot. The cooking times will be the same if you double the recipe.
Rotisserie chicken is affordable and this recipe tastes great with leftover chicken. If the chicken is already cooked, I would recommend making this soup on the stovetop and adding the chicken just before serving to warm it through.
This soup can also be made on the stove in a Dutch oven. See the recipe card for the stove top variation.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
- Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Chicken Sausage
- Easy Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup from Margin Making Mom
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup from Cookin' with Mima
How do you plan to top your bowl of Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup? It's going to be delicious!
If you like this Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup, please leave a 5-star rating.
Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant pot or pressure cooker instructions for Dutch oven in the notes too
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 16 ounces chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 4 ounces can diced chiles
- 14.4 ounces can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional toppings (tortilla chips, lime wedges, sour cream, cilantro, etc)
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once hot, sauté onions for 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add a half cup of broth and stir, scraping the onions and garlic off the bottom.
- Add remaining broth, chicken, chiles, tomatoes, salsa, spices, beans and corn . Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. Cook on high for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender and with a 165° internal temperature.
- Quick release pressure and remove the chicken. Shred the chicken and return to the pot and add the corn. Mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite topping such as tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, lime wedges, avocado slices and/or fresh cilantro .
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.