They say the best recipes are made with love and I am happy to celebrate American heart month this February by creating a family dish using Eggland's Best Eggs. Eggs are one of my most used ingredients and they are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This quiche is something my family and I could eat at any time.
Recently my sixteen year old daughter became a vegetarian. I would say she is a fickle vegetarian as she has tried being a vegetarian once before but caved in several months after she started due to the smell of a juicy charbroiled burger. Teenage girls are wishy- washy like that and we will see how long this lasts. But right now I am making vegetarian meals that appeal to her but also provide plenty of protein and nutrition. This quiche fits right in this category.
A quiche is easy to make and I like to layer mine a certain way so the crust doesn't get soggy. First I lay the crust in a pie plate. Don't judge me as this is a refrigerated store bought pie crust. As you probably already know, I stink at making crusts and like to take the easy way out. Once the crust is in the plate I sprinkle the cheese on first.
Next I saute' the veggies in a non- stick frying pan with a little olive oil. They don't need to be cooked long but I like to just get them a little wilted.
I let them cool for a few minutes then put them over the cheese. Make sure you spread them evenly.
Next the eggs get beaten together with some spices and fat free evaporated milk. It gets poured right in the pie shell and the quiche is ready to bake. Put the quiche in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Below is what your beautiful quiche will look like. Make sure to cool it first as a hot quiche is very hard to cut into nice slices.
I love having quiche for dinner! This is something that is great to make in advance then heat up in the oven or microwave. Using Eggland's Best Eggs gives me extra benefits over ordinary eggs.
Did you know that they have four times more vitamin D, ten times more vitamin E, more than double the amount of omega-3s, thirty- eight percent more lutein, three times more vitamin B12 and twenty five percent less saturated fat compared to ordinary eggs?
Now for the great news. Eggland's Best is giving one of my readers the chance to win a nice gift pack which includes a gift card.
The gift pack will include:
- 2 free dozen EB coupons
- $25 visa gift card
- 1 EB plush egg
CONTEST CLOSED.....THANKS FOR ENTERING!
To enter to win, please leave a comment telling me what is your favorite way to eat eggs. For three extra entries you can:
Please make sure you leave a comment telling me that you liked, or pinned for additional entries. Contest ends on Friday, February 7th at 11:59 EST. You must have a US mailing address to enter. The winner will be chosen by random.org and I will notify them by email. The winner has 48 hours to respond to receive the prize.
Want more information on Eggland's Best? Here is their website and social media pages:
- Eggland’s Best Website: http://bit.ly/zSp1Fu
- Eggland’s Best Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/WUT330
- Eggland’s Best Twitter page: http://bit.ly/Ze6Ksi
- Eggland’s Best Pinterest page: http://bit.ly/JGUBsj
Broccoli and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche
- 1 refrigerated 9 inch pie crust
- 4 ounces shredded 2 % milk low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped broccoli
- ⅓ cup roasted red peppers jarred are fine
- 4 large Eggland's Best eggs beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion pepper
- 1 can 12 ounce fat free evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9 inch deep-dish pie plate with the pie crust. Trim and crimp edges. Spread cheese on the bottom of the crust.
- In a large skillet heat oil on medium and saute' broccoli until wilted. Add red peppers to pan and mix well. Remove from heat.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and milk.
- Spread the veggie mixture over the cheese then pour the egg mixture over the veggies.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into 8 slices. Quiche can also be served at room temperature.
***For full disclosure, the Eggland’s Best coupons, information, and two gift packs have been provided by Eggland’s Best. As usual, all opinions are my own.