Mushroom and Bacon Quiche is creamy, savory and filling. The protein-packed custard filling in this breakfast quiche is loaded with eggs, cheese, mushrooms and bacon and takes only minutes to prep. Bake ahead for a quick yet delightful breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I love a good savory breakfast quiche, and my favorite is a hearty one that includes bacon and mushrooms. Not only is this a perfect way to start off my day, but it's also a special quiche that you can serve for a holiday brunch. It's always a favorite on our New Year's or Easter brunch table.
Quiche is both rustic and fancy, and it's so simple to make with a premade crust. Storebought crusts are flavorful and affordable and easy to use. It's a time-saving hack that you should have no shame in using.
Quiche is one of those dishes that can be served with any meal. Pair it with a berry fruit salad for breakfast or brunch, add a light green arugula and avocado salad for lunch or serve it with a hearty vegetable barley soup for a filling dinner.
Mushroom Bacon Quiche Ingredients
- Pie Crust – use 1 storebought (or homemade) refrigerated pie crust.
- Bacon – a full 12 ounces of your favorite chopped bacon give this breakfast quiche incredible flavor.
- Onion – peeled and dice a small onion.
- Pepper – core and dice a small red pepper or use the color of your choice.
- Mushrooms – slice 8 ounces of your favorite kind of mushroom.
- Eggs – 4 large eggs.
- Cream – I prefer light cream, but you can use half and half or heavy cream.
- Salt and Black Pepper - Season to taste.
- Cheese – shredded cheddar cheese gives this bacon and mushroom quiche a creamy taste and texture. Swap in your favorite cheese as desired.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Blind bake the crust. Place the crust in a pie pan and crimp the edges. Prick holes over the bottom and inside of the crust, then cover the edges with a pie crust shield (or use aluminum foil). Bake the crust at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes or until it starts to turn a light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a large frying pan, saute the chopped bacon until slightly crispy. Drain the fat and set the bacon on a plate with paper towels.
- Saute the onion, red pepper, and mushrooms in about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease until everything is softened and the onion becomes translucent. Combine the bacon and veggie mixture and spoon it evenly into the bottom of your pre-baked pie crust.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Spread the shredded cheese in an even layer over the bacon & veggie mixture, then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the quiche on a baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is completely set and the top of the quiche is golden browned. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Hint: Layer the ingredients onto the pie crust with the bacon and mushroom mixture on the bottom, then add the cheese and pour over the egg mixture. Everything will magically combine and be evenly distributed after baking.
- Gluten Free - Bake this breakfast quiche without a crust for a gluten free and low carb option.
- Vegetarian – Leave out the bacon to make a vegetarian version of this breakfast quiche.
- Spicy – Add diced jalapeno or a bit of crushed red pepper flakes to make it spicy.
- Meat – use cooked breakfast sausage or sliced ham in place of the bacon.
- Veggies – feel free to add your favorite veggies to the mix. Spinach is another favorite of mine for adding to quiche.
- Cheese – sharp cheddar cheese gives this quiche a classic flavor. Use swiss or smoked gouda for a delicious flavor twist.
Storing Breakfast Quiche
Storing – Leftover quiche should be covered in plastic wrap and can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve cold or reheat in the microwave in 15-second increments until warmed through. You can also reheat in a 325 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
Freezing – Cool the quiche completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Quiche is ideal for prepping in advance. Prepare the bacon and mushroom quiche up to 24 hours in advance and store it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. Place the quiche on the counter while the oven preheats, then bake as directed. You can also fully cook the quiche and gently reheat before serving.
More Special Occasion Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
- Pork Roll Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast from Grumpys Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Monkey Bread Muffins
- Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Casserole
If you like this Mushroom Bacon Quiche, please leave a 5-star rating below.
Mushroom Bacon Breakfast Quiche
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (or homemade)
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small red pepper, cored and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Roll out the pie crust and place it in a pie pan. Crimp the edges if desired with fingers or a fork. Prick holes over the bottom and inside of the crust, then cover the edges with a pie crust shield (or use aluminum foil). Bake the crust for 20 minutes or until it starts to turn a ligh golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a large non stick frying pan saute the chopped bacon according to package instructions. (or about 10 -15 minutes on medium heat until is is slightly crispy) Drain the fat and set bacon on a plate with paper towels. Remove grease from pan leaving about a tablespoon or so to saute veggies.
- Add the onion, red pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for about 10 minutes or until everything is softened and the onion becomes translucent. Return the bacon to the pan and mix it into the sauteed veggies.
- Spoon the bacon & veggie mixture into the bottom of your pre-baked pie crust. Spread evenly. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper together. Spread the shredded cheese in an even layer over the bacon & veggie mixture, then pour the egg mixture over top.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the quiche into the oven on a baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is completely set and the top of the quiche is golden browned. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Quiche should be refrigerated within 2 hours of cooling.
- Refrigerated quiche will last for up to 3 days.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Cook bacon completely before adding to the quiche.
- If freezing quiche, thaw it overnight in the fridge.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.