Air fryer breakfast sausage is so simple to make and you can easily follow this method for sausage links or patties or with fresh or frozen sausage. Making breakfast sausage in the air fryer is a great way to create a simple breakfast with ease and in a short amount of time.
I often cook sausage as it is one of my family's favorite breakfast foods but I never like the greasy mess it leaves in the frying pan and on the stove top. I found a new way to cook sausages and you are going to love it. There is no standing over a hot stove with this method and it takes less time than any other way.
Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage is cooked in 12 minutes and you can walk away and prepare your eggs, toast and hash browns while the juicy sausages are being cooked! Best of all, you can use your favorite fresh or frozen sausage including links or patties.
You'll have perfectly cooked, juicy, not dry, golden brown breakfast sausage in just a few minutes. Your busy mornings just got easier with one of my favorite air fryer breakfast recipes. This really is the easiest way to make sausage. I frequently cook Italian sausage in the air fryer too!
What Type of Breakfast Sausage Can be cooked in the air fryer?
You really can cook any type of sausage in your air fryer. I prefer turkey sausage links but pork sausage patties and chicken breakfast sausage all come out well. Sausage from poultry can have a little less fat then pork sausage but it still comes out juicy and is a healthier option. Always make sure all sausage is cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Preheat your air fryer (if required for your model) to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the air fryer basket or rack with cooking spray and place the sausage in a single layer.
- Air fry sausage for 10-12 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking, until it has a nice golden brown color and is cooked through.
See recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
Storage and Reheating
Leftover cooked sausage can be stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. Reheat refrigerated leftover sausage for about 6 minutes in your air fryer. Frozen precooked sausage can be reheated in about 8 minutes. You can also use your microwave in increments of 30 seconds although sausage will not have the same crispy exterior.
Best Cooking Tips
- You can cook either sausage patties or sausage links in the air fryer.
- Place sausage in a single layer on your air fryer tray.
- Don't over crowd the air fryer basket. Leave space so the hot air has room to circulate.
- Cook in batches if necessary.
- For sausage patties, make sure the patties are of even thickness for even cooking. ¼ inch patties will cook through in about 10 minutes.
- Flip the suasage halfway through the cooking time.
- For even easier cleanup you can lay down parchment paper or aluminum foil to catch the mess. Do note that the sausages won't brown as evenly.
- This method is intended for cooking sausages. To reheat precooked sausage you will want to reduce the time to about 6 minutes.
- Air fryers function differently. Use this cooking time as a guide and adjust to your specific model of air fryer.
- Sausage should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F when checked with a meat thermometer.
- Drain cooked sausage on paper towels after cooking to remove excess grease.
Yes! This same cooking method works well for cooking air fryer breakfast sausage patties. For the best results, all sausage patties should be cut to an even thickness. ¼-inch thick patties cook in approximately 10 minutes. For thicker sausages, you will need to add a few extra minutes of cook time to insure the air fryer sausage patties are cooked through.
You can use this same method for frozen breakfast sausages. Simply add 4-5 minutes to the cooking time.
I love to prepare enough sausage for meal prep for the week and store the leftovers in the fridge. To reheat already cooked sausage, reduce the cooking time to about 6 minutes and remove the sausage when it has warmed through.
What to serve with Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage
Serve your favorite breakfast sausage with an egg casserole, on a breakfast sandwich or next to pancakes with maple syrup. Here are some delicious breakfast recipes that I serve air fryer breakfast sausage links with.
- Spinach Mushroom Frittata with Goat Cheese
- Healthy Mini Mexican Frittatas
- Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes
- Pan Fried Potatoes and Onions
- Easy Homemade Biscuits from Margin Making Mom
If you like this Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage
- 1 air fryer
- cooking spray
- 12 small breakfast sausage links
- Remove the basket or rack and preheat air fryer to 400 degrees if your air fryer requires pre heating.
- Spray the air fryer basket or rack with cooking spray. Add sausage in a single layer.
- Cook sausage for 10 to 12 minutes or until juicy but browned, turning once in between cooking. If sausage is frozen it will need to cook for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.