Low sodium taco seasoning may be difficult to find in the store but it's easy to make at home. DIY taco seasoning is smokey, sweet and has that Mexican flavor you love with less salt and it's made with ingredients you already have on hand. You will love this homemade spin on taco night.
Why I like DIY Taco Seasoning
We frequently have taco night for dinner and that calls for a great taco seasoning. While there are plenty of already made blends in the grocery store, I prefer to make my own. This DIY taco seasoning recipe has only a small amount of salt so the overall sodium is low. You can really tailor it to your preference which is why I love to make my own taco seasoning.
- Chili Powder – This aromatic pepper and spice blend is essential in Tex Mex cooking. It's available at different heat levels so choose your preference.
- Cumin – Cumin has a nutty, rich, earthy flavor.
- Sea Salt – Sea salt contains trace mineral and has more nutrition. Coarse Kosher salt would also be a great option.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper aids in the absorption of nutrients. It also enhances the flavor of other ingredients.
- Onion Powder – Adds a lovely onion flavor without chunks of onions.
- Garlic Powder – Add subtle garlic flavor that isn't overwhelming.
- Oregano – Oregano has a slightly citrusy flavor and is a staple in Mexican cuisine.
- Paprika – Mild and sweet. Look for smoked paprkia for a fire roasted flavor.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Variations
The best part of making your own seasoning blends is that you have total control over the ingredients. Here are some suggestions for varying the recipe:
- Make It Hot – Add some cayenne pepper or use a spicy paprika to give this seasoning some fire.
- Make It Smokey – Use smoked paprika for a fire roasted flavor.
- Go Salt Free – If you prefer no salt at all, you can leave it out completely.
- Wake It Up – Add ½ teaspoon of instant coffee for a flavor that will knock your socks off.
How To Make Your Own Seasoning
- Add all ingredients to a jar and give it a good shake. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature. Make sure to label seasoning before storing. (Full recipe and ingredients in card below.)
Uses for Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
Of course, taco seasoning is perfect for using in tacos but it's more versatile than you may have imagined. Here are some of our favorite recipes and ways to use taco seasoning.
- Mini Taco Bowls
- Crock Pot Shredded Chicken
- Best Steak Tacos - Easy, Quick & Delicious!
- sour cream dips
- cheese dip
- burger seasoning
- Mexican pizza
- cocktails (Seriously! Next time you make a margarita, try rimming the glass with this taco seasoning.)
More DIY Seasoning Recipes
- Homemade Beef Seasoning
- Homemade Steak Seasoning from Souffle Bombay
- Everything Bagel Seasoning from Spend with Pennies
- Homemade Poultry Seasoning from Recipes from a Pantry
If you like this DIY Taco Seasoning, please leave a 5-star rating.
Low Sodium DIY Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Add all ingredients to a jar and give it a good shake. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature. Make sure to label seasoning before storing.