Air fryer Italian sausage is bursting with delicious flavor and cooking them in the air fryer is the quickest and easiest method. In less than 20 minutes you'll have juicy sausages to serve with peppers and onion, pasta and sauce, or laid in some hot dog buns or rolls for an incredible sandwich.
Things can get busy around my house and our schedules often pull us in different directions. Still, we try to make dinner time family time and that means we have to be flexible. That means sometimes we eat early, sometimes we eat late and sometimes we eat in a hurry.
Italian sausages have always been a favorite but they can be a little persnickety, cooking unevenly or taking longer to cook than expected. My sausage and peppers sheet pan dinner is a tried and true main dish favorite but this Italian sausage recipe takes 40 minutes to make. That's time we don't always have.
After experimenting with making breakfast sausages in the air fryer, I figured that there had to be a better way to sausage for an easy dinner too. It turns out that Air Fryer Italian Sausage is simple to make, only requires one ingredient, and best of all cooks up perfectly in just 20 minutes! If you need an easy meal, this will be one of your favorite air fryer recipes.
I love serving these sausages on a roll with sauteed peppers and onions. It's as good as a sandwich that you would get at the state fairs.
Types of Italian Sausage
Who doesn't love a one-ingredient recipe? All you need is uncooked sausages. Italian sausages come in many different varieties. Let's explore the different kinds of sausages you'll find in your local grocery store.
Spicy or Hot Italian Sausage – This pork-based sausage is seasoned with a mixture of parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, fennel seed, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, onion and garlic.
Mild Italian Sausage – This sausage is made in the same manner, with the same seasonings, but does not include the addition of red pepper.
Sweet Italian Sausage – Sweet Italian sausage is essentially the same as mild Italian Sausage and often the names are used interchangeably. Occasionally, sweet Italian sausage includes the addition of sweet basil but this can be a regional or individual preference.
Chicken sausage and turkey sausage- For a lower fat version, you can get both hot and sweet Italian sausage that is made from ground chicken or turkey if you prefer not to eat pork sausage.
See recipe card for quantities and exact instructions.
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Add raw sausages in a single layer to cooking rack or air fryer basket. Make sure the links are spread out.
- Cook sausage for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking. Sausages should be browned and have an internal temperature of 160 degrees using an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove sausage from air fryer and serve.
Hint: Let the sausages come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before popping them in the air fryer and they will cook more evenly.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer. Leave space so the sausages brown evenly on all sides.
- Sausages have a high fat content and can drip while cooking. Start with a clean air fryer to minimize smoking. You can also put a bit of water in the drip tray or use a piece of stale bread to absorb any excess grease.
- The internal temperature of the sausages should reach a minimum of 160 degrees F.
- Use a digital meat thermometer for the most accurate reading and easy way to see if the sausage is done.
- This same method can be used for making brats and other uncooked sausages.
- Different brands of sausages may vary in thickness. The thickness of the sausage can effect the cooking time so make adjustments accordingly.
Storage and Leftovers
Leftover sausage can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat sausages in the microwave, in a pan on the stove or in your air fryer until warmed through. Sausage may also be enjoyed cold.
It takes 10-15 minutes to cook air fryer Italian sausages. Always use a digital thermometer to determine doneness. Sausage should be cooked to a minimum of 160 degrees F.
Yes! It's easy to cook sausages, onions and peppers all together and it takes the same amount of time. Chop or slice peppers and onions and toss them with a bit of olive oil plus salt and pepper. Add them to the air fryer basket along with the sausages. Flip halfway through cooking. I love making these in a sandwich.
Yes, but it will need to cook for about 5 minutes or more depending on your specific air fryer.
Want to serve your sausage with bell peppers and onions? Chop them and layer them in the air fryer basket around the Italian sausages. The cook time will be the same, and it's a great option to enhance your favorite sausage and turn this recipe into a full meal.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Always check the temperature with a digital meat thermometer.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Air fryer Italian sausage can cause smoking when the fat drips so monitor carefully.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer BBQ Shrimp
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs - The Best Crispy Drumsticks!
- Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe with Seasoned Sour Cream
- How to Roast Baby Carrots in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Salmon Patties from Cookin' with Mima
- Air Fried Cauliflower
Serving Italian sausage is easy. Simply pile it on a plate with peppers and onions, add it to spaghetti noodles and sauce or serve them in buns with this marinara sauce recipe or mustard for a great sandwich.
If you like this Italian Air Fryer Sausage recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Air Fryer Italian Sausage
- 6 links Italian sausage (about 1 ½ lbs)
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Add sausage lin a single layer to cooking rack or air fryer basket. Make sure the links are spread out.
- Cook the sausages for 12 to 15 minutes while flipping halfway through cooking. Sausages should be browned and have an internal temperature of 160 degrees using an instant read thermometer.
- Remove sausage from air fryer and serve.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.