Sausage and peppers in the oven are simple to make yet full of flavor. This easy weeknight dinner requires almost no prep time and is ready in just 40 minutes. Easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd. You will love this sausage sheet pan dinner.
Today I wanted to share an easy, hearty weeknight meal. Sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes are baked in the oven to create one of my favorite sheet pan dinners. For this meal, you can use any type of sausage you choose. I love getting homemade sausage from Martins in the Reading Terminal and they have lots of varieties. This sausage and peppers recipe is perfect for busy weeknights, and the veggies can easily be prepped in advance.
Why I Love Sheet Pan Meals
Sheet pan dinners deliver a flavorful meal with minimal prep work and easy clean-up. Piling ingredients on a large baking sheet and baking them in the oven is simple and delicious, and they look beautiful when served.
Sheet pan meals are perfect for busy families and are really versatile, so you can customize them to fit your tastes. It's also my favorite way to feed a crowd as the ingredients can also easily be doubled.
This easy sheet pan sausage recipe is just a perfect weeknight one-pan meal.
- Potatoes – Use red potatoes cut into 2-inch pieces. You can also use yellow or tri-color potatoes.
- Onion – Peel and slice a large, sweet yellow onion. Red onion would also be a tasty option.
- Bell Peppers – You can use a single color of pepper, or you can mix and match. Yellow, red and orange bell peppers tend to be sweeter than green bell peppers.
- Olive Oil – Or use your favorite light, neutral-flavored oil.
- Garlic Powder – Or add your favorite seasoning blend.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste.
- Sausage Links – Select your favorite uncooked sausage links, such as Italian turkey sausage.
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in the Oven
- Toss sliced onions and peppers with olive oil and seasonings until well coated.
- Spread the vegetables onto a large baking sheet and top your favorite kind of sausage.
- Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 35-40 minutes until veggies are tender and the sausages are cooked through. Toss the veggies and turn the links halfway through cooking.
See recipe card below for exact ingredient list and instructions.
What Type of Sausage to Use
The beauty of this recipe is how easily adaptable it is. Not only can you swap up the veggies, but you can also use different varieties of sausage. My husband loves pork sausage while I love to use turkey sausage, and it's so easy to use both! The whole family can choose their favorite and you can cook what everyone likes.
- Meat Sausages – Pork sausage is typically higher in fat and calories than chicken sausage or turkey sausage. My family loves spicy foods and Italian flavor so I often use hot Italian sausage links.
- Vegan Sausage – Have a vegetarian or vegan in the house? Use a plant-based sausage.
- Flavored Sausage – Sausage comes in various heat options, from sweet and mild to extra spicy. Sausages are flavored with different seasonings or have beer or cheese added to them for even more flavor.
- Swap the Veggies – Add a rainbow of green bell peppers and orange bell peppers for lots of color, or swap in your favorite vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, sliced carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, or sliced summer squash. This is a perfect way to cook a hearty one dish meal.
- Swap the Sausage – Use your favorite sausage flavor or experiment with different kinds of sausage. Hot Italian sausage is fun if you like a bit of spice, or you can select turkey sausage for a leaner meal. You can even slice the sausage into rounds to speed up the cooking time.
- Swap the Seasonings – The sky is the limit when it comes to seasoning the vegetables and sausage in this sheet pan dinner. A bit of olive oil, salt and pepper may be all you need, but you can add cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, oregano, or your favorite blend of herbs and spices. I also will add a small can of tomato sauce or chicken broth to sweet Italian sausage when I want saucy sausage and peppers. This is delicious over crusty Italian bread.
- Toss the veggies with olive oil and your seasonings before adding them to a large baking sheet.
- Space the sausage evenly around the pan.
- Toss the veggies and turn the sausages halfway through cooking.
- Cover your roasting pan with a sheet of parchment paper for even easier clean up!
Sheet pan meals are so versatile, and this sausage and peppers in the oven is no exception. There are lots of ways to serve this sausage sheet pan dinner.
- Serve With Grains – Serve the sausage and peppers alongside a pile of cooked long grain rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
- Make A Sandwich – Pile peppers and onions onto a hoagie roll with some marinara sauce for a delicious sub sandwich.
- Pile Over Pasta – Cook pasta noodles and top with the sausage and pepper mixture and some freshly shaved parmesan cheese. Add marinara sauce if desired.
Serve this sausage sheet pan dinner with:
- Long Grain White Rice
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
- Finish your meal with a scoop of Peach Cobbler Ice Cream.
- To Store. Refrigerate leftover sausage and peppers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat gently in the microwave or a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in freezer bags or a freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
One of the best parts of this meal is the leftovers, so I always plan to make extra. The leftovers can be sauteed and served with fried eggs for a delicious breakfast hash. Add them to soup for a hearty burst of flavor. Sausage and peppers always seem to taste better the next day.
Yes! Always check your package ingredients, but most sausages are made gluten free, so this sheet pan dinner is the perfect option for a diet-friendly meal when gluten is a concern.
If you want to make this with precooked sausages, you will want to decrease the cooking time a bit. Alternately, allow the onions, peppers and potatoes to cook for about 20 minutes before adding the cooked sausages.
If you like this easy sheet pan dinner recipe, please rate it 5 stars below.
Oven Baked Sausage and Peppers with Potatoes
- 8 small red potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, cored and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links (or your favorite sausage)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, onions, and peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix together and spread on a baking sheet. Place sausage on top of veggies.
- Bake in over for 35 to 40 minutes or until sausage is cooked and veggies start to brown. The veggies and sausage can be turned once if desired for browning on both sides.
- Remove from pan and cool before serving.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.