Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas are simple to prepare in just minutes and only require four essential ingredients. Customize each air fryer quesadilla with toppings and add-ins for the easiest Mexican dinner the whole family will love.
My family loves Mexican food and we eat tacos, enchiladas and burritos on the regular. Recently, chicken quesadillas have been a go-to option because they are so easy to make and are totally customizable. The best part is that they contain a few simple ingredients and are a great way to have a quick lunch or dinner.
With air fryer quesadillas, I can make everyone in my family happy without a lot of extra work. My family isn't too picky, but making EVERYONE happy is a tall order for a recipe, especially one that only takes minutes to prepare.
You can throw together an air fryer quesadilla in seconds and it cooks to perfection in just a few minutes. Plus, it only takes four basic ingredients to make chicken quesadillas.
Quesadillas can be made on the stovetop, in the oven, or - my favorite method - in the air fryer. The air fryer does such a great job of making the quesadilla have melty cheese with a crispy tortilla. You get that combination of gooey crunch in every bite.
Perfect for an afternoon snack, turn an air fryer quesadilla into a meal by adding a few toppings and serving with a bowl of tortilla soup, a nice salad or a hearty serving of beans and rice.
- Tortillas – use medium flour tortillas. If preferred, you can make these gluten free by using corn or gluten free tortillas
- Cheese – use freshly shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite melting cheese such as Oaxaca and Chihuahua cheese. Mozarella and Monterey Jack are also delicious options.
- Chicken – use cooked, shredded chicken. This is a great recipe for leftover chicken breast or rotisserie chicken.
- Salsa – select your favorite brand of salsa.
- Toppings – Include your favorite toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, peppers or guacamole.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Combine chicken and salsa in a medium size bowl.
2. Microwave tortillas for 20 seconds to soften them. Layer half of the tortilla with cheese and meat.
3. Fold the tortilla in half and spray with cooking spray or brush with olive oil before adding to the air fryer basket in a single layer.
4. Air fry for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Cool slightly and serve with your favorite toppings.
Hint: If the tortilla won't stay folded, use a toothpick to secure it while the quesadilla cooks
- Meat - Replace the shredded chicken with Mexican ground beef, shredded beef, shredded pork or shrimp.
- Cheese - Swap the cheddar cheese for your favorite melting cheese such as Oaxaca and Chihuahua cheese. Mozarella and Monterey Jack are also delicious options or you can use a Mexican cheese blend.
- Vegetarian - Replace the meat with refried beans or black beans for a vegetarian quesadilla. You can also use just cheese if you want an air fryer cheese quesadilla.
- Healthier - Use low-carb tortillas and low-fat cheese to make these a bit healthier.
- Gluten-Free – Use corn tortillas or flour tortillas for a gluten free quesadilla.
Chicken quesadillas are best served fresh and they only take a few moments to make, so I try to only prepare what we need. If you do have leftover quesadillas, they can be refrigerated for up to 3 days in an airtight container or wrapped well in foil or plastic wrap. They can be frozen for 1 month but honestly, defrosting and reheating will take longer than making this simple recipe fresh!
Don't fret about only using part of a package of tortillas. Tortillas freeze really well and they will thaw in about 15 minutes. Wrap tightly and freeze until needed for up to 3 months.
Quesadillas are incredibly simple to make but they are also a canvas for customization. Serve with a selections of toppings including sour cream, jarred salsa, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, olives or a few homemade items.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
It's easy to make quesadillas in the oven but there is some time involved. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare the tortillas and lay them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes then flip and bake until the cheese is melty and the tortillas are crispy, about 8 minutes more.
Freshly shredded cheese melts better so I prefer to take a few extra minutes to shred a block of cheese rather than buying pre-shredded. Cheddar cheese is a favorite option, but simply choose a cheese that you love. Monterey jack, mozzarella, Oaxaca and Chihuahua cheeses are all great choices.
If you like this air fryer quesadilla recipe, please leave a 5-star rating below.
Air Fryer Chicken Quesadillas
- 4 medium sized flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ¾ cup salsa
- optional toppings like sour cream, cilantro, peppers or guacamole
- Preheat air fryer at 360F. Combine chicken and salsa in a medium size bowl. Microwave tortillas for 20 seconds to soften them.
- Arrange ½ cup chicken mixture on half of one tortilla. Top with ½ cup shredded cheese. Fold over. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken and cheese..
- Spray the air fryer basket and place quesadillas in the air fryer basket. Spray the tops with oil and cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Remove and let cool. Cut and top or serve with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole or your favorite toppings!
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.