Light Lemon Blueberry Muffins

by jerseygirl on February 22, 2010 · 23 comments

Okay, so I finally did it! I used the D word. I really don’t like to go on diets but today I started a real diet. None of the crash courses or crazy liquid regimes but not just healthy eating either. This time I am counting my calories and cutting out sugar. No. Junk. Food. Whatssoever. Maybe on the weekends I can have a little fun but during the week it’s oatmeal, fruits, veggies, fish and lean meat for me.

So you’re wondering about these muffins. Yes, they are light and yes, they have sugar. But they were made last week and there are none left. But I’ll still share with you. They were adapted from Cooking Light and are somewhat healthy. They make a great quick breakfast especially if you’re walking out the door. Wish me luck on this D-I-E-T!

Lighter Lemon Blueberry Muffins (adapted from Cooking Light)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 cup blueberries
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients. In a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Combine buttermilk, egg, and zest; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined muffin cups. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack to cool.

post signature

Laurie from CCC February 22, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I just happen to have all of the ingredients in my house! I can see myself making these tomorrow–excellent! thank you for sharing them!

Danielle February 22, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Mmmm lemon sweets are my favourite! These sound amazing!

Lea Ann February 22, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I don't use the "D" word either. I just try to eat lean meats/fruits/veggies and then splurge on the weekends. Sugar is definitely one of the culprits of bad health. Darnit! 🙂

Barbara Bakes February 22, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I'm always on the look out for a good muffin recipe. I love the height you got on these even with some whole wheat flour.

Carole February 22, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Thanks, Lisa. I have new neighbors moving in tomorrow and I was looking for a blueberry muffin recipe. I just found it. THANKS!!!

Sharon February 22, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I'm all about the diet in moderation and these muffins look like they fit right in!

kat February 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

Good luck with the diet, the word alone scares me

Kathie February 23, 2010 at 10:19 am

Mmm..that looks DELISH!! Going to have to have to make these this weekend. THANKS!!

Good luck on your "nutrition plan" (I like to use that over the Big "D" it makes it sound better and easier to keep to & maintain. 😉 )

The Japanese Redneck February 23, 2010 at 10:51 am

Yup, can relate. I'm on the big ol 4 letter word myself (D-I-E-T).

I'm doing Sugarless for Life. Lost 6.5 pounds after 4 weeks. I'm happy with that.

Maria February 23, 2010 at 10:53 am

Good luck with your goals. The muffins look very tasty. I will have to try them, I love healthy baked goods that still taste delish:)

Bridgett February 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm

These look so comforting. I definitely could use one of these right now.

Pam February 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

They look delicious and the recipe is a keeper! Good luck with the D thing!

teresa February 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm

you can do it! honestly, the first week is the hardest, but it gets easier pretty quick. these muffins look like the perfect way to curb those cravings!

Lori Lynn February 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm

The muffins do look good!

And best wishes for success on your diet!
LL

redkathy February 24, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Blueberries… Count me in!! Those muffins look amazing!

black eyed susans kitchen February 25, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Oh Lisa, The ultimate 4 letter word!
Dieting is not easy and I wish you good luck with it. Those muffins look wonderful and I have noticed lots of fresh blueberries in the market lately..on sale! Ours have been making their way onto cereal and in pancakes.
♥, Susan

biz319 February 25, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I love lemony things – and to pair with blueberries – yum!

I got my Progresso stuff! I'll post about it tomorrow.

Thanks again for picking me!

Jamie February 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm

This is very good muffin for you. It's got blueberries (good for you), whole wheat flour (good for you) and a low amount of sugar for a muffin recipe (better for you).

Good luck with the "watching what you eat". I've found that putting food on smaller plates helps with the portion control.

Sophie February 28, 2010 at 8:22 am

MMMMMMM,…these muffins are calling my name,…

they look terrific & ooh so tasty too!

Karen Harris February 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I love lemon berry anything so these are just my cup of tea. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sook March 1, 2010 at 2:26 am

I love lemon and blueberries together. They make the muffins incredibly delicious. 🙂

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom March 2, 2010 at 8:43 am

Your post makes me smile because I've been up to my elbows for days working on a new blueberry cornmeal mini muffin recipe. So far, the flavor is great (it too has lemon zest) but it's a bit dry. Round five coming up today. Good luck w/ your new healthy eating goals, and good luck with all your snow. I really wish we had some of it up here in New England!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] March 20, 2010 at 8:48 am

Good luck with your diet! I find it very hard to stick 😛