Jersey Fresh Blueberries

by jerseygirl on June 27, 2008 · 11 comments

It is 10:30 pm and I just whipped up a batch of blueberry muffins. They are baking so my house is smelling pretty good right now. Unfortunately, I am giving these muffins away. They will be leaving the house at 7:30 am to go to a swim meet. Boo hoo! It’s okay, as I can make more next week. It is blueberry season and I am seeing the biggest, sweetest blueberries.

Back in college, when I first met my roommate, she said she was from Hammonton. Being from northern NJ, I had no idea where that was. NJ is a lot bigger than you think. I then found out that Hammonton was declared by President Reagan in 1984, as the blueberry capital of the world. So how about that? We not only have the best tomatoes, but also the best blueberries. And I think I could throw some corn and peaches in that group of bests. We are the Garden State!
Getting back to my muffins, I decided to go with a great looking recipe from Gourmet Girl’s Blog. I did not have any vanilla sugar like she used, but sprinkled them with turbinado sugar. It seemed to work fine. While typing up the recipe, I realized OOPS! I accidentally omitted the baking powder however they came out nice and high. I tried one and it was a bakery quality muffin. The baking soda alone must have been enough to do the trick. Phew! Wouldn’t want to be buying muffins at 7am. Now I am done for the night. I will be having sweet dreams with the smell of blueberry muffins.

Blueberry Muffins

12-1/2 ounces cake flour (3 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder (I omitted by accident)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup sour cream (can be substituted with yogurt)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups blueberries, (1 pint)
1/4 cup vanilla sugar for sprinkling tops
paper liners or buttered muffin tins

Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl toss blueberries with about 1 tablespoon of flour mixture and set aside. Whisk all wet ingredients together and mix well. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just barely combined. Add blueberries and mix lightly. Do not over mix. With an ice cream scoop fill muffin pan almost all the way to the top. Top with sugar generously and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove muffins from pan as soon as they are cool enough to handle. They will keep for 3-4 days covered at room temperature.

Lore June 28, 2008 at 3:09 am

I love every single edible berry there is on this planet. Your bluberry muffins would make my breakfast perfect 🙂

Aggie June 28, 2008 at 7:41 am

Those muffins look great! I LOVE blueberries! I have everything in the recipe, so I may have to whip up a batch later for the kids! =)

Prudy June 28, 2008 at 9:57 am

They look delicious. I hope you saved at least one for yourself! Lucky swimmers!

Beth June 28, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Can’t go wrong with a blueberry muffin. I have tagged you for a meme

Bridgett June 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm

There is something so comforting about a fresh blueberry muffin and yours look delicious. I hope the team enjoys them!

Lori June 29, 2008 at 7:41 am

Mmm, I love blueberries in any baked treat!

Bridgett June 29, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Lisa,
You have a note on my La Bella Cook blog. Enjoy 🙂

Jeena June 29, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I could eat every single one of your beautiful blueberry muffins. They look so lovely and sound so delicious.

Lisa June 29, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Lore,
I love berries also!

Aggie,
Hope you liked them as much as I did.

Prudy,
They were to sell at the snack bar at the meet. My daughter bought one even though she had one for breakfast! 🙂

Beth,
Thanks! I will get to it in the next few days.

Bridgett,
You are so kind! Thanks so much!

Thanks Lori and Jeena!

Kevin July 7, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Nice looking blueberry muffins! I am looking forward to the blueberries.

Carolynn October 2, 2008 at 1:00 am

Just a FYI about the baking powder ommission in this recipe. The reason that the soda worked as the leavener in this recipe is because it re-acted with the sour cream contained in the recipe. Baking SODA reacts with the acidic nature of ingredients like sour cream, buttermilk, applesauce,etc.
(brown sugar even contains enough to re-act with the soda in cookie dough recipes-like chocolate chip). The reaction creates the carbon-dioxide bubbles to leaven the batter or dough. BAKING POWDER contains it own acicdic ingredient, so it can be used in recipes that do not contain an acidic ingredient, such as in pancake batters, baking powder biscuits etc.This is just the science behind the success of the recipe without using the baking soda! If your recipe had used just ordinary milk as the liquid ingredient, the recipe probably would not have turned out so well!! (Buttermilk or sour mild WOULD have worked, however)