Saltine Cracker Toffee is buttery, chocolaty and incredibly sweet. This super simple Christmas Crack recipe can be made in under 20 minutes for a delicious and customizable holiday treat.
The holidays wouldn't be the same without Saltine Cracker Toffee. It is also known as Christmas Crack, cracker toffee, saltine cracker candy and saltine crack recipe.
I am sure there are many other names out there for this decadent holiday treat. It is made up of a layer of saltine crackers, a layer of homemade caramel and then covered with melted chocolate and sprinkles or whatever else you would like to decorate it with. This Saltine Toffee recipe is made of simple ingredients but super addicting!
I started making this treat many years ago. It is easy to make and totally customizable. Add a batch to a cellophane bag and tie it with a ribbon for a tasty gift for friends during the holidays. People just love it! Just add seasonal sprinkles and this Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe is the perfect treat for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter or whatever holiday season you want to celebrate.
This cracker candy recipe is a delicious treat for your next gathering. They work also for a cookie exhange or a nice little gift to give to teachers, friends and family.
Not including cooling time, I can whip up a batch in under 20 minutes. And no candy thermometer is needed for this easy treat. How great is that?
Ingredients Needed for Saltine Toffee
- saltine crackers- Use salted or unsalted, whatever you prefer. I usually use unsalted because I like to use salted butter. Both salted crackers and butter might be too much salt so decided what combination you'd like. For an even sweeter treat, you can substitute graham crackers for the saltines.
- salted butter - You can use unsalted butter too but I like the extra salt to give it a bit of sweet and salty taste
- light brown sugar - Make sure it is fresh so it doesn't get hard and stick together. Use dark brown sugar for an even more toffee candy flavor.
- chocolate chips - I prefer semisweet chocolate chips but use your favorite dark chocolate or milk chocolate.
- sprinkles, crushed nuts and/or white chocolate - Be creative and make it match your favorite holiday. I like to use crushed candy canes during the Christmas season for a super festive topping.
See recipe card below for exact ingredient amounts and instructions.
How To Make Saltine Toffee
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay the crackers out flat in a single layer onto the foil.
- Melt butter and sugar in a medium saucepan on medium heat and bring it to a rolling boil until foamy (about 3 to 5 minutes). Pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and spread to coat.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a 400º F preheated oven or until the butter mixture is bubbly. Remove from oven.
- While hot, sprinkle chocolate chips on toffee mixture layer and allow them to soften and melt, before spreading over the surface.
- Sprinkle with whatever toppings you like.
- Let the chocolate cool and harden then break into pieces.
- Keep stored in an air tight container the refrigerator.
Check out my Saltine Toffee Webstory.
Christmas Crack Recipe Tips
- Use a 10x15 jelly roll pan or wide rimmed baking sheet.
- If your pan is a little larger, create a rim with foil so the crackers don't move around when you are spreading the butter mixture or chocolate.
- Use heavy-duty foil to line the pan.
- Place the crackers close together on the tray. You don't want big spaces between them.
- Don't stress if some of the crackers break. They will be covered with caramel and chocolate so it will all even out. And they will be broken in pieces anyway.
- Feel free to decorate it with nuts, sprinkles, or swirled chocolate. I made some with multi colored sprinkles and some with almonds, drizzled with white chocolate.
- Allow the candy to cool completely before trying to remove it from the foil.
- After I make it, I keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container or cookie tin. Take it out and bring to room temperature before serving.
- You might want to carry around the recipe on cards because after friends eat it, they always ask for the recipe.
More Holiday Treats
I love a sweet treat during the holidays and these are some of my favorites:
- Peppermint Oreo Stuffed Brownies
- Festive Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Candy Cane Pretzels
- Cookie Butter Fudge from Grumpy's Honey Bunch
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies from Swirls of Flavor
If you like this Christmas Crack recipe, please leave a 5-star rating below.
- 40 saltine crackers 1 sleeve
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- sprinkles or other toppings
- Line jelly roll pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Lay crackers out flat in a single layer on the foil.
- Melt sugar and butter on medoium heat and bring to a rolling boil until foamy (about 3 to 5 minutes). Stir well. Pour over crackers and spread to coat.
- Bake 5 minutes in 400º oven or until bubbly. Remove from oven.
- While hot, sprinkle with chocolate chips, let soften and melt, then spread.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles or whatever toppings you like (crushed nuts, crushed candy canes, etc).
- Let the chocolate harden then break into pieces.
- Keep stored in the refrigerator.
First Published December 2008
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.