Polish Butter Pretzel Cookies are soft and buttery, not overly sweet. They are the kind of cookie that everyone loves. Hard boiled egg yolk cookies may sound strange but these traditional Polish cookies deserve a place in your kitchen.
Back when my son was in grade school, he had to do a cultural project for school. Since my husband's father is Polish, my then nine-year-old son decided to find out more about Poland. This included researching information on my favorite thing--food.
Most of the children in my son's class decided to make some kind of cultural dish and my son picked Polish cookies. In our research, we found several cookies which included hard boiled eggs as an ingredient. While this was all new to us, this pretzel-shaped boiled egg yolk cookies recipe we came up with didn't disappoint.
Ingredients Needed for Polish Cookies
- Butter – use softened, room temperature salted butter
- Flour – regular all-purpose flour works best
- Egg Yolks – remove the yolks from three hard boilded and mash finely
- Confectioners Sugar – sometimes called icing sugar
- Egg – beat a whole, room temperature egg well
- Colored Sugar or Sprinkles – Mix and match the sprinkles to match any holiday or occassion
How to Make Pretzel Butter Cookies
- Combine the butter and sugar then mix in the egg yolk and powdered sugar until well combined.
- The dough is the refrigerated for at least an hour.
- Roll walnut sized chunks of dough and twisted like a pretzel.
- Add colored sprinkles or sugar and bake.
We enjoyed making these together, and boy do I love seeing photos of my son helping me bake when he was younger (even though he doesn't...lol). My son was so proud of his cookies. He was ecstatic when all his classmates loved them too.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Soft Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies from Swirls of Flavor
- Strawberry Sandwich Cookies from Bowl Me Over
- Little Monster Cookie Bites
- Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
This is a wonderful recipe to make with kids and I added it to my holiday cookie collection years ago. Since then it has become a favorite.
If you like these Polish pretzel cookies, please leave a 5-star rating below.
Polish Pretzel Butter Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3 cups flour
- 3 large cooked egg yolks finely mashed
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg beaten well
- colored sugar or sprinkles
- In large mixing bowl, cut the butter into the flour until it starts to come together as crumbs.
- Stir in the mashed egg yolks and confectioners sugar, mixing well.
- Gather the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour or longer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take walnut-sized pieces of dough and roll into a rope. Form into a pretzel shape and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the cookies with the beaten egg and sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a cookie rack.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.