This cookie ice cream sandwich recipe is a cinch to make at home. It's easy to customize your own homemade chipwich with your favorite flavors and create a customized treat. Everyone will love these chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches.
One of my favorite early teenage memories is swimming at the local town pool on a hot summer day and eating chipwiches and cheese fries from the snack bar. Ahhh, those were the days!
While I buy boxes of Chipwiches ( Chipwich is trademarked by Crave Better Foods, LLC ) at my grocery stores, it sure is fun to make my own. Chipwiches are made from chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream and more mini chocolate chips. It is the original classic ice cream sandwich that I always knew as a kid.
I like to go a step further and vary flavors. You can use your favorite cookie, ice cream and chips. It's also fun to use holiday sprinkles and make these homemade ice cream sandwiches for parties and celebrations. Around the holidays, I make festive Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches.
July is National Ice Cream Month and this would be the perfect time to make a whole batch of these treats and pop them in the freezer. They keep well in plastic wrap or airtight containers and you can have them all summer long.
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Chipwich
- Large Cookies – The flat chewy kind works best. You can use homemade chocolate chip cookies or store-bought and experiment with different cookie flavors. While some people think chocolate chips are the best cookies, I think peanut butter or chocolate cookies work well too.
- Ice Cream – Creamy vanilla ice cream is a traditional choice but you can use your favorite ice cream flavors or mix and match. Try chocolate ice cream, strawberry or your favorite ice cream flavor. When I really want to elevate this frozen treat, I use homemade vanilla ice cream.
- Add-ons – Have an assortment of mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, or chopped nuts for dipping the edges of the chocolate chip ice cream sandwich.
- Lay 6 cookies upside down on a baking sheet.
- Scoop 3 small scoops of ice cream onto each cookie.
- Top with the 6 remaining cookies and gently press to spread out the ice cream.
- Smooth the edges with a knife and place the tray in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and roll the edges in chocolate chips, sprinkles or nuts.
- Place the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches back into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper and freeze for later.
See recipe card below for full instructions.
Best Tips for Making this Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
- A flat chewy cookie works best for cookie ice cream sandwich recipe. You can buy store bought chewy cookies or make them yourself with your favorite cookie recipes. I use this chocolate chip cookie recipe found on Cookie Madness when I want homemade cookies for my chipwich.
- Get creative with your ice cream sandwich cookies. You can use classic vanilla ice cream but you can also try other flavors. Cookie dough, strawberry and black cherry ice cream are a few of my favorites.
- If you are baking your own cookies, make sure to bring them to room temperature on a wire rack before using them for homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches.
You can store these ice cream sandwiches up to a month in the freezer. They are a crowd pleaser with my kids friends and the delicious treats never last that long in my house...lol.
Sturdy cookies work well. Also use ones that are large and flat. I prefer sugar and chocolate chip cookies for my ice cream sandwiches. M&M cookies also work well. For best results, I would not use a soft cookie or tender cookies as they could break and crumbe with the weight of the ice cream on them.
This is a perfect treat to enjoy this summer and a good idea to serve at a party or gathering. It's one of the fun things you can do with kids and I really love making them anytime of year!
More Summer Desserts
If you like this recipe for cookie ice cream sandwiches, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches - Homemade Chipwiches
- 12 large cookies flat chewy kind works best
- 36 scoops vanilla ice cream (or your favorite ice cream) size depends on the size of the cookie
- ½ to 1 cup mini chocolate chips or sprinkles
- Place six of the cookies on a cookie sheet. Place 3 scoops of ice cream on each cookie.
- Top the ice cream with the remaining 6 cookies. Press down gently so that the ice cream comes out the sides just a little bit. Using a butter knife, smooth out the sides of each sandwich.
- Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Place the chocolate chips on a plate. Take out the cookies and roll the sides in the chocolate chips.
- Freeze for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap if storing in freezer.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.