Whenever our family heads to New York City, we like to try a new deli. While my husband judges the deli by their pastrami and corned beef, I look straight to the chicken and tuna salad. While the rest of my family are not crazy about these salads, I love them. And since I don't want to eat the whole bowl myself, I rarely make it. But when I invited a few friends over for lunch today, I jumped at the chance to make chicken salad. My family might not eat this but my friends gladly will.
Chicken salad has always been a comfort food to me. There is something about the creamy and crunchy texture that makes me love it so much. Today I served it on mini egg knot rolls. Food always tastes better when served in small bites. Another way I love to serve this salad is on crackers.
I have a few secret ingredients which I added to this chicken salad. They are my refrigerator pickles and honey. That might sound weird to you but the pickles give it some added crunch while the honey adds a touch of sweetness.
Try it! You'll like it.
Crunchy and Creamy Chicken Salad With Dill
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- ⅓ cup diced sweet red peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 dill pickle finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise I used light
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 TBS honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix well and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.