This blueberry salad is loaded with fresh mozzarella, basil and a balsamic dressing for a surprising twist on traditional Caprese salad. You are going to love this unique summer berry salad.
One of my favorite things about summer is the produce. While NJ is known for tomatoes and corn, let's talk about blueberries. NJ is the blueberry capital of the world! The juicy, luscious berries start to ripen at the end of June and early July. I run to my local farms and markets to get my fill. I also freeze some for later in the year. When I finally run out, I also use Florida blueberries from Wish Farms.
At first, you might be surprised that I matched blueberries with mozzarella, basil and a balsamic dressing. But it works well. The blueberries are bursting with flavor and are the perfect complement to the fragrant basil and creamy cheese. In this recipe, blueberries are the new tomato! Don't get me wrong as I love tomatoes too, but the sweet blueberries make this a perfect summer salad.
The blueberries are lightly marinated in the balsamic dressing first. This brings out their juiciness and sweet flavor. Just a touch of a little sea salt finishes off the salad. I will be making this salad all summer or as long as I can get blueberries.
Ingredients Needed for This Blueberry Salad
- Honey - You could also use real maple syrup.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - The flavor of EVOO is a little bold. If you prefer you can use a more neutral oil like olive, avocado or grapeseed oil.
- Balsamic Vinegar - Look for a good quality balsamic since it is really what makes this salad.
- Blueberries - You will need to use fresh blueberries for this salad.
- Baby Arugula - Arugula has a little bit of a sharp or spicy bite to it. I think it compliments the sweetness of the blueberries and balsamic but if you prefer a milder green try baby spinich.
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese - You can purchase this in a large ball or a log. It comes presliced and unsliced.
- Roasted Red Peppers - You can find these with the pickles and olives. They add color and a sweet flavor.
- Basil Leaves - Fresh basil add a bright flavor to this blueberry salad.
- Sea Salt - You don't need much, but a bit of sea salt marries all of the flavors of this summer berry salad together.
More Salads with Balsamic Dressing
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Toasted Walnuts
- Simple Balsamic Glazed Caprese Salad
- Farmers Market Tomato Salad
More Blueberry Recipes
- Blueberry Cardamom Corn Muffins
- Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Casserole
- Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe
- Blueberry Pie with Homemade Crust from Meals by Molly
This summer, when your fridge is bursting with fresh blueberries, give this blueberry Caprese salad a try!
If you like this summer berry salad with balsamic dressing, please leave a 5-star rating.
Blueberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces blueberries washed
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 6 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup roasted red peppers cut into pieces
- 3 Tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add blueberries, stir well and marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- On a platter arrange arugula. Top with mozzarella cheese slices and red pepper pieces.
- Arrange the blueberries on top, reserving dressing and sprinkle with basil leaves. Pour dressing on top and add salt to taste.
First Published May 2016 ; Updated June 2021
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.