Air Fryer Egg Toast is a delightful combination of crispy toast and creamy sunny-side-up eggs. This modern-day makeover of eggs in a hole recipe is ready in 5 minutes, and you don't even have to cut a hole in the bread! Air Fryer Eggs in a Basket is the perfect breakfast for busy mornings.
Cereal used to be the standard for quick and easy morning breakfast options. Not anymore! Air Fryer Egg Toast (aka, eggs in a nest or eggs in a basket) is an easy breakfast made with just two ingredients (plus some seasoning) and takes less than 10 minutes, including prep time. You get a hot, delicious, protein-filled breakfast in minutes without the added sugars found in most breakfast cereal. My whole family loves this healthy breakfast.
Eggs in a Hole is a nostalgic breakfast. It's the type of breakfast mom or my nana would have fixed when I was a child and is still a favorite choice now. It's simple, yet totally satisfying and takes almost no effort. This air fryer egg toast version is so easy, kids can prepare this one on their own with little supervision.
- Bread – Use slices of white or wheat bread or substitute your favorite sandwich bread.
- Eggs – You will need one large egg per slice of bread.
- Salt and Pepper – Season each egg to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Egg Toast
Place each slice of bread into a preheated air fryer basket.
Carefully crack an egg on top of each bread slice. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until the egg is set to your liking.
Hint: Adjust the cooking time to adjust the doneness of your egg. If you prefer a runnier egg yolk, shorten the cooking time. For a firmer egg yolk, add an extra minute or two.
- Swap the toast. Use whole grain, sourdough, homemade bread or gluten free toast.
- Make a breakfast sandwich. Add crispy bacon slices, sausage, sliced deli ham, cheese, etc. between to sliced of air fryer egg toast for a simple breakfast sandwich.
- Top with chopped ham or avaocado. Serve the egg toast with toppings like chopped deli ham or chopped pieces of avocado. I like a splash of hot sauce too.
- Add butter. Butter the bread before adding the egg for a more rich flavor.
If you like air fryer egg recipes, also try my air fryer hard boiled eggs.
You will need to adjust the amount you cook based on your size air fryer. For smaller air fryers, you may only be able to cook one or two at a time. For larger air fryers and cooking in an air fryer oven, you may be able to cook four or five pieces of egg toast.
- You can use parchment paper to prevent the toast from sticking to the air fryer basket. They make special air fryer parchment paper rounds that you can purchase on Amazon. Do not use cooking spray as this is not recommended for most air fryers.
- Use the back of the spoon or a glass to gently press the center of the bread to create a divot. This will prevent the egg white from running off the bread.
- Adjust the cooking time to adjust the doneness of the egg. Cook less for a runny yolk.
- Sprinkle with cheese during the last few minutes of cooking.
If you prefer a runnier egg, begin checking for doneness at the 5-minute mark. For a firmer, more well-done egg yolk you will want to increase the time, potentially up to 9 or 10 minutes.
Traditionally, egg in a hole or egg in a nest is cooked in a frying pan or on a skillet and a hole is cut into the piece of bread before adding the egg. You can do this with the air fryer but you must either line the air fryer with parchment paper or find a small baking pan that will fit inside your air fyer. I prefer the simplicity of cooking the egg on top of the bread.
Egg toast is certainly delicious on its own, but you can easily make it a full breakfast by serving it with these tasty options:
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you love cooking in an air fryer, here are more recipes to try:
If you like this easy recipe for Egg Toast, please leave a 5-star rating below.
Air Fryer Egg Toast
- air fryer
- 2 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat air fryer to 360 degrees if necessary. Place the slices of bread into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Carefully crack the eggs on top of each slice of bread.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the egg is fully cooked to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Simple,, quick and delicious