My son just had baseball try outs this week. Yes, it’s that time of year where things get as hectic as possible and we have soccer practices, baseball games and track meets to go to. Hopefully that means warmer weather but I am hearing that there is still some snow on the way.
Still hopeful that spring is on it’s way, my baseball loving husband happened to mention the asparagus games. My son had no idea what he was talking about and in no way can he relate to any green vegetable. So it seems the pre- season youth baseball games are sometimes referred to as asparagus games. I guess this is because asparagus is an early season vegetable? That’s the only relation I could grasp as I know most twelve year old boys in no way or form would eat asparagus. However, my son and many of his friends love to play baseball.
With all the talk of asparagus games, it made me a little hungry. And knowing that a sit down dinner on a week night in the spring is almost unheard of in our house, I decided to match some asparagus with breakfast. This is the type of breakfast I could eat every day. It is healthy, fresh and topped with a runny egg. Anything topped with a runny egg is pure bliss in my book.
I like to roast a whole pan of asparagus at once then heat some up topped with an egg for breakfast. It reminds me of my days as a child (yes, I ate asparagus as a 10 year old) and staying at my grandparents house. My grandmother would make this often. The thing I remember is that she really liked thick asparagus while I prefer thinner stalks.
Try this once and you’ll make it again and again. It’s that asparagus time of year! How do you like to eat asparagus?
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange asparagus on a big cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and springle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Heat pan to medium heat and crack the eggs in the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes or until whites are set. Turn over if you'd like your egg over easy. Top asparagus with eggs.