Jersey tomatoes are here and I am in heaven. How do I like my tomatoes? They are so good eaten with just a bit of sea salt but let me count the ways. The Caprese salad has always been a simple favorite of mine. I make this in various forms and love it as a pasta salad. But then there are stuffed tomatoes, pico de gallo, and cherry tomato on skewers. You get the picture…..I love fresh Jersey tomatoes.
Another thing I love is balsamic glaze. I have gotten into the habit of putting it on everything. Move over ketchup as this works well on sandwiches, roasted veggies, salads, chicken and fish. I can’t get enough of the stuff and I always grab a few inexpensive bottles at Trader Joes.
This salad is great to serve when you have company. The colors make it a pretty dish yet it is so easy to put together. So go ahead and make this salad. Then ask someone to pass the balsamic.
- 2 medium size ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 to 3 TBS balsamic glaze
- salt to taste
- Arrange a plate with the sliced tomatoes and top with cheese slices.
- Garnish with the basil and drizzle the balsamic glaze over the plate.
- Season with salt to taste.