Sometimes the best things in life are so easy and simple. The weather was so beautiful last week. It was perfect to take the dog for a walk, sit on the patio with a glass of lemonade or just bask in the sunshine reading a magazine. It reminds me that so many little things can bring lots of joy. And speaking of the simple joys in life, here is an easy salsa recipe from Red Gold Tomatoes that is perfect to serve to company on top of grilled chicken or just a nice little accompaniment to some tortilla chips. I made this last week to snack on with a cocktail before dinner.
Since we still have several months to pick some fresh Jersey tomatoes, I love using these canned diced tomatoes with chilies. Even though they come from a can, the taste is fresh and the tomatoes are still red and juicy looking.The extra chilies give them a nice kick.
This time, I made this salsa exactly the way the recipe said but that is not always the protocol for me. You can easily make this salsa your own by using a different kind of bean or adding your favorite vegetable. I like dressing up my chicken, fish or steak with this too. An easy simple dinner can be had by making the salsa in advance and then grilling some fish, chicken or meat. Don’t forget the margarita on the side!
What’s your favorite simple pleasure in the spring?
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies , drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, stir to combine, Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to blend the flavors. Serve with chips or crackers.