My Favorite Salad

by jerseygirl on May 29, 2008 · 19 comments

I love all types of salads. Not just for health reasons but because you can put anything or everything in them. I have been known to overload mine where they are no longer considered diet fare. Did you ever hear the Bud Light Real Men of Genius commercials on the radio? “Here’s to you Mr Giant Taco Salad Inventor. Who else could manage to put 12,000 calories in a salad and call it healthy?” Well, yes, that could be me. However, when it comes to classic salads, the Caprese salad is my favorite.

In a few months, I will be able to pick the tomatoes right out of my garden. Have you ever had a Jersey tomato? They are the best, hands down! Paired with basil, some fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of dressing, you just can’t beat it. Oh, and don’t forget the sea salt. For the salad in the picture, I used some red Hawaiian Sea salt which I purchased at Trader Joe’s. It gives the salad a nice little crunch. This is my go to dish for every summer barbecue. So do yourself a favor and make some this summer. Please also listen to the Mr Giant Taco Salad Inventor commercial. (Just click on the link and make sure your speaker is turned on.) You will crack up!
Easy Caprese Salad

2 medium sized vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 LB fresh mozzarella, cut in 1/4 thick slices
a pinch of sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
a handful of fresh chopped basil
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar

Layer slices of tomatoes and mozzarella on a large, shallow platter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the chopped basil on top. Drizzle the salad with the olive oil and vinegar.

Jenny May 29, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Oh my,
That’s got to be one of my favorite’s too. Especially in the summer, it’s so fresh!

Looks great!

Deb May 29, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I love making not-so-healthy salads also. There’s no rule they have to be good for you! 😉

OhioMom May 29, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Maters and basil, I have them growing in a pot on my rooftop. I will eat mater sandwiches with Hellmans Mayo on homebaked whole grain bread all summer long.

Nice blog, I will be stopping in to visit again 🙂

Prudy May 30, 2008 at 12:11 am

I agree, it’s the best. As far as I’m concerned, salads are healthy, and calories be darned!

Emiline May 30, 2008 at 1:34 am

Oh, wow. That looks incredible. I think that’s my favorite salad too.

Lori May 30, 2008 at 6:07 am

I’m also a fan of this fresh, simple salad!

Jeena May 30, 2008 at 7:15 am

Hi Lisa, I love vine tomatoes and mozzarella they look fantastic. I bet you are excited about picking your own fresh tomatoes, lucky you. 😀

Deborah, Site Administrator May 30, 2008 at 7:59 am

This salad looks like a keeper. Just planted my tomato plants yesterday and its going to be a long 60 days before the first Early Girls are here. I can’t wait.

Thanks for stopping by Jersey Bites. We have a social network for Jersey Foodies, please come and join us. Jerseybiters.ning.com. It’s a great place to share recipes and promote your blog.

RecipeGirl May 30, 2008 at 11:37 am

I actually get to pick the first of my cherry tomatoes today! We are able to plant in late February here so many tomatoes are just about ready for picking. I love this sort of salad too.

Annie May 30, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Looks great and so easy. I love that about this salad. The most important thing is to use the freshest ingredients and you can’t go wrong!

Btw, thanks for visiting my blog. I’m glad you stopped by, otherwise I wouldn’t have know about yours, and it’s great!

Vicarious Foodie May 30, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Mmmm . . . tomatoes right out of the garden are the best. I’m jealous of your garden!

Robin Sue May 31, 2008 at 11:49 am

Makes me long for tomato season. This is in my top ten of favorite salads. I just can’t get my basil to grow, I think that every time I plant my basil plants or seed the little chipmunks dig them all up. Argh!

Beth June 1, 2008 at 4:13 pm

This looks lke my kind of salad! Just got given three tomato plants so hopefully I’ll get a good crop!!

Lisa June 1, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments and stopping by my blog.

Teanna June 3, 2008 at 1:27 pm

There is nothing better than mozzerella, tomato, and basil! And I could just feel that way because I’m Italian, but I’m sure many would agree!

That looks fantastic!

Kandi June 3, 2008 at 5:31 pm

I love love love that salad too.

Tracy June 3, 2008 at 11:14 pm

That is my husband’s favorite salad too! I hope I get basil and tomatoes in the ground this year — I’m behind!

Mommy Gourmet January 26, 2009 at 5:29 pm

My mom is from Freehold and still talks about her fathers tomatoes. I love my Caprese with capers. Though I like everything with capers