Happy Easter everyone!
I spent the day relaxing and having some Easter fun with my family. We went to church this morning but before I left I was able to get this pie in the oven. This afternoon, we colored Easter eggs and my kids did some Jelly Belly bean trading after the Easter bunny brought them each a big box of jelly beans. After that, it was time for our dinner of roast rack of lamb, mushroom & sun dried tomato fettuccine and sweet ricotta pie.
I have always wanted to make an Italian Easter pie with ricotta cheese. There are both savory and sweet varieties but today I wanted one for dessert. I looked at many recipes that seemed a bit complicated so I finally came up with this easy one. For simplicity, I used packaged pie crust but if you are a crust connoisseur, you can make your own.
This pie is not very sweet and I used a minimal amount of chocolate chips. I love the orange flavor but I think my husband and daughter would prefer it without the orange zest. It reminds me somewhat of a cannoli but it is much more dense than creamy. It was perfect to have a small slice after eating a big dinner. Next time I make it, I am considering adding a swirl of Nutella.
How did you spend your Easter? Do you have any holiday meal traditions?
Sweet Ricotta Pie
- one 9 inch refrigerated unbaked pie crust at room temperature
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- the zest from one orange
- 1 tsp cinnamon divided use
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pie crust in a nine inch pie plate.
- Beat together eggs, ricotta cheese, sugar, vanilla, orange zest and ½ tsp cinnamon until creamy. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ tsp of cinnamon.
- Bake pie for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.