Who's getting ready for the Superbowl? I am not entertaining this year as we are going to a party. I still have been eying up some worthy recipes on the blogosphere as I can always use another game day recipe.
I have talked about my family's love for Musselman's apple butter in the past but that was in a sweet way. Today we are talking savory. As much as my husband likes some apple butter on toast, he LOVES it on savory foods. Put some wings in front of him and he is a happy man. This sweet and spicy wing recipe is a way to any man's heart.
After checking out several more recipes on the Musselman's website, I realized that apple butter is great to make appetizers. I came up with these sweet and spicy sausage bites. I used turkey kielbasi to keep things on the lighter side but any type of smoked sausage will work.
I even have my own little man to serve them.
Happy Super bowl watching!
Sweet and Spicy Smoked Sausage Bites
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 12 ounces smoked sausage sliced in ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 3 TBS whole grain dijon mustard
- 2 TBS ketchup
- dash of hot sauce or more to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Brown sausage for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together, apple butter, mustard, ketchup and hot sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the sausage and stir well.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until sauce is bubbling.
- Serve sausage pieces on toothpicks.
***For full disclosure, Musselman's sent me a gift pack including product. As usual, all opinions are my own.