Cinnamon Snowball Cookies are buttery cookies laced with cinnamon and coated in powdered sugar. These nut free cookies melt in your mouth and always show up on my holiday cookie tray.
What are Snowball Cookies?
Snowball cookies are buttery cookies that look like snowballs. These cookies remind me of Christmas because I do not remember ever celebrating the holiday without them. They are always on a cookie tray with other cookies, whether that be one that was made by my mom, sister or myself. While I always have called them snowball cookies, many people refer to them as Mexican Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes or Butterballs.
The cookies are made up of only 5 ingredients so they are very simple. My version does not include eggs and are nut free cookies so they are quite allergy friendly too as long as you are not looking for a keto or gluten free cookie. Basically the ingredients are salted butter, confectionery (powdered) sugar, vanilla, flour and cinnamon. You may already have everything you need in your pantry!
- When shaping the cookies into balls, make them all uniform in size. This will insure that they bake evenly.
- This recipe makes a smaller batch of only a dozen cookies but feel free to double the recipe if you want more.
- Sprinkle the powered sugar on the cookies when they are slightly warm. This will allow the powdered sugar to stick better.
- The cookies bake until the bottoms are slightly golden brown. Make sure not too overbake them.
- Pour a big glass of milk before serving!
How to store Cinnamon Snowball Cookies
These cinnamon cookies will keep well in an airtight container. I have kept them up to two weeks but I think they taste the best if eaten in 7 days.
Cinnamon Snowball cookies freeze well! Just make sure to wrap these nut free cookies tightly with plastic wrap and/ or in an air tight container. They should not be sprinkled with the powdered sugar until after they are defrosted and ready to serve. These nut free cookies can be frozen up to two m0nths.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Dipped Nutter Butters (No baking!)
- Drop Sugar Cookies
- ABrown Sugar Ice Box Cookies by West Via Midwest
- Christmas Tree Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Holiday Coins by Family Around the Table
- Little Monster Cookie Bites
If you like this recipe for Cinnamon Snowball cookies, please rate it five stars below.
Cinnamon Snowball Cookies
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter with a mixer (or by hand) until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and beat for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Mix until well combined, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Gently mix in the flour and stir until just combined.
- Gather the cookie dough in a big ball and put in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls (about 1 inch each). Place on pan and bake for about 10 minutes or until bottom edges of the cookies start to turn golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then sprinkle or roll the cookies in additional powdered sugar. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon if desired.