Cinnamon Snowball Cookies are buttery cookies laced with cinnamon and coated in powdered sugar. These nut free cookies melt in your mouth and always show up on my holiday cookie tray.
For full disclosure, I received free product from sponsors in conjunction with #christmascookie week. As usual, all opinions are my own.
What are Snowball Cookies?
Snowball cookies are buttery cookies that look like snowballs. These cookies remind me of Christmas because I do not remember ever celebrating the holiday without them. They are always on a cookie tray with other cookies, whether that be one that was made by my mom, sister or myself. While I always have called them snowball cookies, many people refer to them as Mexican Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes or Butterballs.
The cookies are made up of only 5 ingredients so they are very simple. My version does not include eggs and are nut free cookies so they are quite allergy friendly too as long as you are not looking for a keto or gluten free cookie. Basically the ingredients are salted butter, confectionery (powdered) sugar, vanilla, flour and cinnamon. You may already have everything you need in your pantry!
This cookie recipe is part of a cookie week event where you can win some great baking prizes. I used Adams vanilla extract in this recipe and you can really taste the deep vanilla flavor.
How to store Cinnamon Snowball Cookies
These cinnamon cookies will keep well in an airtight container. I have kept them up to two weeks but I think they taste the best if eaten in 7 days.
Cinnamon Snowball cookies freeze well! Just make sure to wrap these nut free cookies tightly with plastic wrap and/ or in an air tight container. They should not be sprinkled with the powdered sugar until after they are defrosted and ready to serve. These nut free cookies can be frozen up to two m0nths.
Cookie Baking Tips
- When shaping the cookies into balls, make them all uniform in size. This will insure that they bake evenly.
- This recipe makes a smaller batch of only a dozen cookies but feel free to double the recipe if you want more.
- Sprinkle the powered sugar on the cookies when they are slightly warm. This will allow the powdered sugar to stick better.
- The cookies bake until the bottoms are slightly golden brown. Make sure not too overbake them.
- Pour a big glass of milk before serving!
If you like this recipe for Cinnamon Snowball cookies, please rate it five stars below.
Cinnamon Snowball Cookies
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter with a mixer (or by hand) until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and beat for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Mix until well combined, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Gently mix in the flour and stir until just combined.
- Gather the cookie dough in a big ball and put in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls (about 1 inch each). Place on pan and bake for about 10 minutes or until bottom edges of the cookies start to turn golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then sprinkle or roll the cookies in additional powdered sugar. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon if desired.
Now enter the giveaway and see more cookie recipes!
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800's, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950's, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Almond Shortbread Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Brown Sugar Ice Box Cookies by West Via Midwest
- Chocolate Dipped Cranberry Oatmeal Cookie by Lemon Blossoms
- Chocolate Pecan Cookie Crisps by Eat Move Make
- Christmas Checkerboard Cookies by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Christmas Chippity Chip Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Christmas Tree Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Cinnamon Snowball Cookies by Jersey Girl Cooks
- French Toast Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Frosty Ginger Cookies by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Ginger Snap Cookies by Devour Dinner
- Holiday Coins by Family Around the Table
- Italian Christmas Cookies by Blogghetti
- Meringue Christmas Trees Two Ways by Art of Natural Living
- New York-Style Black & Whites by Kate's Recipe Box
- Pecan Crescent Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Pepparkakor by That Recipe
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Crushed Oreo Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Reindeer Haystacks by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Soft Italian Wedding Cookies by Making Miracles
- Sweet Potato Pecan Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Turtle Cookies by An Affair from the Heart
- Vegan Italian Wine Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Whipped Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Zimstern - German Cinnamon Stars by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures