Yesterday was just “one of those” mornings. You probably have had one and know what I am talking about. This was the kind of morning where there is traffic on the one mile drive to middle school, my high school daughter’s bus didn’t come and five minutes before I had to leave for work, I realized that I had no clean black dress socks. So I drove both my kids to school and snuck a pair of my twelve year old son’s Nike Elite socks out of his drawer. Who would know? Does it matter that I work in a dress boutique and a few women might stare at my ankles throughout the day? Okay, so things are moving along and all of a sudden my gas light goes on. Now I am even later for work then I thought. Lucky for me I did one smart thing yesterday morning.
Before any of the commotion began, I managed to get a beautiful roaster chicken in my slow cooker. A few weeks ago, I happened to see that The Little Kitchen made a whole chicken in the slow cooker and I have been wanting to try it. I tend to roast chicken in parts for faster cooking but thought that if I tried this method, a whole chicken would be cooked by the time I was home from work. My seasonings were different than Julie’s and I used a much larger chicken but the method worked and this will be happening in my kitchen again. My family loved it. I used a great big chicken that was over 7 pounds so we could have leftovers. Because who doesn’t like leftover chicken?
The meat was so moist and flavorful. It tended to fall apart a little so instead of pulling it out of the slow cooker whole, I sliced the chicken up and then crisped the skin under the broiler. My kids took the skin off so next time I probably won’t even need to turn the oven on.
Well lucky for me, the day was made a lot better by coming home to a house smelling like roasted chicken. I pretended the morning didn’t even happen!
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 large roasting chicken ( 5 to 7 lbs)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, peels and cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, chili powder, and parsley.
- Remove giblets and insides of chicken. Rinse and dry with paper towels. Rub seasonings all over the chicken pushing some under the skin.
- Put the cut up carrots and onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the chicken (breast side up on top) of the vegetables and tuck wings and legs in.
- Cook chicken for 6 to 8 hours on high. Remove when the internal temperature of the cooked chicken is 165 degrees.
- Slice chicken and put under a broiler oven for a few minutes if you would like the skin crispy.