Holiday Cookies

by jerseygirl on December 30, 2008 · 17 comments

I did not plan to stay away from my blog for almost a week but it seemed to just happen. I hope everyone has been enjoying their holidays. My family has had lots of joy this past week but we also experienced some sadness due to the passing of a few friends. If you could, please keep the Baratta family, Gorman family and Malmberg family in your prayers. It has been a tough time for these three families.

I did have time to bake lots of cookies before Christmas and wanted to share some of the recipes I used. Two cookies I always make are gingersnaps and rolled sugar cookies. My kids love to make different shapes with cookie cutters even though I do not like the mess. It is not Christmas at our house without making these.

For my sugar cookies, we decorated them with some melted white chocolate chips and some colored sprinkles. It is much easier than making frosting but tastes delicious. The sugar cookie recipe came right from Allrecipes and you can click here.

The gingersnaps are also a holiday favorite of mine and I love this recipe. It is Majorie Johnson’s blue ribbon recipe. She is this cute lady that has won over 2500 ribbons in state fair cooking contests and has even appeared on the Tonight Show. This is a no fail recipe and I love the chewy spicy cookie. Click here to go to her website and get the recipe.

I am a little behind on my Barefoot Bloggers recipe for this month but I will be posting an Italian tomato bread soup next. See you then!

post signature

Dawn December 30, 2008 at 1:54 pm

you know Lisa everytime I come to your blog I think of cheesesteaks! lol
I always remember that post you did…mmmm
Happy New Yea to you if I don’t talk to you again.

Laurie December 30, 2008 at 3:17 pm

I hear you about how hard it has been to blog during the holidays. The days have just been racing by.

Hope the New Year is wonderful to you!

Mary December 30, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Lisa, I am really sorry for the loss of your friends. It’s an especially hard season to deal with death. Hugs…..Mary

Emily December 30, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I’ve got to try that ginger cookie recipe! They look fantastic.

Hope you had a great Christmas. I’m sorry about your friends.

The Blonde Duck December 30, 2008 at 5:10 pm

I’m looking forward to that soup mix! These cookies look so cute!

Maria December 30, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I am behind in blogging too. Oh well, it is good to take a break every once in awhile:) Glad you are back though. The cookies look great! Happy New Year Lisa!

The Food Hunter December 30, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Cookies look delicious. Happy New Year.

Clumbsy Cookie December 30, 2008 at 7:55 pm

So sorry to hear about your friends. Hope their families are copping the best they can. Despite that I’m glad you had a fun time, and I’m sure cookies just added to the fun!

Paula December 30, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Oh, I’m so sorry about your friends. Will definitely say some prayers for you and them. What a good mom you are for letting the kids make the decorated cookies! Those gingersnaps look great; I love how you describe that they are chewy and spicy. YUM! Looking forward to your soup recipe … You know how I am when it comes to soup! Happy New Year!

Katrina December 30, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Yum to both cookies. I have a lot of cookie baking for Christmas that I wanted to get posted, but just may not. That’s just the way it goes. Family IS the most important, huh. Sorry to hear about your friends!
Happy New Year!

Patsyk December 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm

I’m sorry to hear that your friends have had such a hard time recently.

Your cookies are so cute. Thanks for sharing!

Bunny December 30, 2008 at 10:39 pm

I’m so sorry for your friends loss and will keep them in my prayers. Your cookies look so good,both of them!

Darius T. Williams December 30, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Yea, the holidays make it hard to blog – sorry to hear about your friends. Great cookies!

-Darius

Sharon December 31, 2008 at 12:40 am

I didn’t mean to stay away so long either! Hope you enjoyed the holidays, but sorry to hear about your friends. Gingersnaps are my fav!!

Allie December 31, 2008 at 11:03 am

The cookies look great the kids did a great job! Happy New Year Lisa!

That Girl December 31, 2008 at 2:38 pm

I made cookies with my niece and nephew and they didn’t come out nearly as beautiful!

Kitt December 31, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Oh, I am in need of some gingersnaps! Thanks for the nudge and the link.

I am sorry to hear about your friends. Strength and peace to their families.

Wanted to pop in and tell you that I went to Whole Foods four times this week (luckily it’s on my way to work) and picked up four free pies! I’m having an open house on Saturday, so that was a big load off my party-food budget. Thanks again!